xiii. Sugar sweet baby, my only one

True, none of them were ready for this. And true, this situation was kind of messy. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't solve it. Or would they? But apparently, taking their adoptive toddler to Christmas shopping was a really bad idea. Not because the child would take ornaments from trees in shops. No, not because of that. But because of she would disappear out of her curiosity. And her parents would have to find her.

Rose was a curious child, and like any other, she'd get fascinated by shiny and bright things she could get her hands on. She always ran around, mostly Brendon chasing after her while Ryan followed his husband's suit. But currently, the child was hiding, thinking her parents were playing 'ku-ku' with her. She just hid behind a Christmas tree. And if they were thinking, they'd probably find her in a split of a second.

See, with both of their anxieties mixed, they were panicking, and it was easy to say that none of them were thinking. So they were going all around the store, checking every place but the tree their daughter was hiding in. And being a toddler, she found it funny how they had funny face while looking for her. She was just a child, so she didn't understand this.

But seeing as Ryan actually looked around in worry, looking like he was about to cry, she came out of her hiding spot and ran up to him (albeit difficulty). She wrapped her tiny, chubby arms around his legs, making the tall man look down and see her. His worry washed away, his anxiety finally catching up and he immediately picked her up, feeling tears slip down his cheeks. She looked at him, confused at the salty liquid and brushed her tiny arms against his cheeks.

"You worried me, it's okay." he spoke, hugging the toddler. Brendon noticed Rose in Ryan's arms and immediately went over to them. He quickly hugged both of them. Then he took Rose out of his husband's arms, hugging Ryan once again just to comfort him. "It's okay, Ry, breathe. She's here." he spoke softly, to calm the older boy, while the child watched them curiously. She didn't want to upset them. Wiggling out of his arms, Rose hugged Ryan once again.

It took him five minutes to calm down, and pick up Rose. She didn't understand, but let him carry her all the time they were shopping, while Brendon held his hand the entire time. Maybe she didn't know why, but Brendon certainly did. He sighed, then smiled kindly at his husband every couple of seconds, gesturing on the food, clothes, things they were buying for their friends and family. Ryan would nod, responding with a whisper.

After they got home and tucked Rose to bed, they laid down on the couch. Ryan was holding Brendon in his arms, his eyes were closed. His breathing though almost made Brendon fall asleep. The younger man watched him, his eyes sparkling at the sight of his husband laying down there. And then their daughter came to his mind and he couldn't help but grin. She might not know a lot of things, and sure, there could be times like this where they both get anxious, but they make a great family. Brendon wouldn't ask for another.

"Hey Ryan?" his voice went up a little, his lips shaping a mischievous smirk. Recognizing the tone, Ryan groaned in response but chuckled, opening his eyes to look at him. Without needing another word, Brendon attacked Ryan's neck with small kisdes, making the other man laugh and toss around, before he shut him up with small kisses. Truly, he wouldn't wish for someone also. "You're my only one."