Chapter 6

"Harry, Christmas is coming up." Hermione said, as they sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall for dinner.

"I know." Harry said. He didn't have his mind on Christmas, or what he was going to get his friends, or anything. He was too preoccupied thinking and worrying about other things in his life right now that Christmas hadn't crossed his mind once.

"This is the last week of school until break. Aren't you excited?" Ron asked.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, course I am. But you guys know me, what else have I got to do? I've never done anything special. It's just another holiday." he said. Ron and Hermione both knew that was more than true. He was never asked back by the Dursleys; it was natural for him to spend the holidays here, at Hogwarts.

"I'm going back home this year. Mum invited you and Hermione as well, if you want." Ron offered. Harry's head perked up from looking down at his plate. One of his favorite places in the world was the Burrow. He'd never pass up a chance to go there.

"Sounds great." he smiled. "Hermione, I expect you're going?"

"Yes. I've already started packing."

Harry nodded. "Right, then. I s'pose I'll start packing after classes end tomorrow."

"Why not start packing tonight?" Ron asked through a mouth full of potatoes.

Harry shrugged. "I have something I need to take care of tonight. Don't worry about it." he added quickly, knowing very well what Hermione would say. Once they all finished eating, they headed toward the library, mostly for Hermione's company, and studied for an upcoming IRS test.

Although Professor Wilkins never said what exactly would be on the test, Harry could make a good guess. Everything from the first class up to now, and the only thing Harry could remember was the physical encounters with Malfoy.

Hermione pulled a thick book off a bookshelf Harry had never looked at before. Intimacy 101: Beginnings of Relationships gleamed in gold against the dark green, hard cover. She flipped open to the first page and briefly read through it. She rolled her eyes and sighed, "I doubt this book will be of any use. I know how to start a relationship, I need to read on psychological effects relationships have. That is what's on the test, isn't it?"

Ron and Harry looked at each other and shrugged. "Er...yeah." Ron answered.

Hermione walked down the aisle, brushing her eyes over the hundreds of titles sitting on the shelves. She pulled off a second book, though this one was rather thin. Black letters were sprawled across the white, soft covered-book, reading Created for Connection; How Magical Bonds Affect the Mind.

"Perfect." Hermione smiled, taking the book over to an empty table and opening it to the first page. "I'll read aloud so you guys can study as well."

She cleared her throat and Ron and Harry sat down with her. "'Magical bonds form almost directly after a witch or wizard is born. These bonds chemically tie people to their future spouse, or the one in which they will have the most successful relationship. This was first studied by Professor H.K. Maulbin, who found this out when he did a biological test comparing two couples, each of the pair containing DNA that directly ties to their partner's."

"Hermione, slow down. I'm trying to write it down." Ron said, scribbling very quickly across his parchment. "Hey, speaking of connections...how's it going with you and Malfoy?" Ron asked quietly, earning no one else's attention but Harry and Hermione, which Harry was quite thankful for.

"Okay, I guess. How's it with you guys?"

Hermione glanced at Ron, speaking up quickly, before he had a chance to talk. "It's good. I mean, well-"