Chapter 25

"I have a very bad feeling about this," Pansy said. "I'm gonna go find the boys and bring them over here."

Hermione glanced at Pansy through the darkness and gripped her hand a bit tighter. "Okay. Be careful though, we're not familiar with this area."

Pansy turned and left the building, the crunching of leaves under her feet just barely audible. Hermione held her wand stable out in front of her and the hand that was once holding Pansy's now hung awkwardly limp from her shoulder. 

She inched forward slowly, staying right behind Professor Wilkins. The chains were still rattling and squeak-like noises were sounding as well; they didn't know if it was Harry but either way, there was definitely somebody in here.

Hermione, lost in her thoughts, didn't even realize that they had stopped walking. "What's happened?"

Professor Wilkins felt around in front of her. "There's a wall here. Try to feel around for a door," she said, walking to the left with her hand still held out. 

"Professor, maybe it would help to produce more light?" Hermione suggested.

"No, we don't know what this place is. Nobody but us needs to know we're in here." said Professor Wilkins.

Hermione nodded and started feeling around the wall, going the opposite way of Professor Wilkins. The rattling stopped now and all that was heard was the padded footsteps of Hermione and Professor Wilkins and their palms running along the cold, metal wall.

Then, after about five minutes, Hermione felt something. "Professor! Over here, I think I've found a latch!"

No response.

"P-professor?" Hermione repeated, her voice wavering a tiny bit. She stayed in place and pointed her dimly lit wand all around her, but it was no use. It only illuminated as far as a few feet in front of her. It was quiet; too quiet for Hermione's liking. There was no sign of movement at all, not even breathing.

She cleared her throat and said louder, "Professor Wilkins?" She hoped to sound braver but couldn't tell if it worked. Something was very wrong, and she couldn't even guess what. They were the only two in there. She would have heard is someone else came in. She found herself longing for Pansy to come back. Then she wouldn't be alone.

Without taking her eyes off of the darkness, Hermione's left hand felt around at the latch to try to open it. It was made very difficult though; her mind was more focused on the sudden disappearance of Professor Wilkins than it was on the latch at the moment. 

She stood there, struggling to make any progress, before she gave in to her thoughts. Just turn around quickly and open the latch. Then I can keep still until someone comes back. 

She quickly whipped around and pointed her wand at the latch. She fumbled with it for a few seconds, although to her it felt like minutes, and she finally got it opened. She turned her head over her shoulder to make sure no one was behind her. As the door started to creak open, someone grabbed Hermione's arm hard and yanked her away from the hidden door.

She landed on the ground with a loud crash and lost the grip on her wand. She saw it glistening in the near distance, but couldn't even make it a foot before she was kicked back and glued to the ground.

"Don't move," said Professor Wilkins' voice. "I'll take care of it." 

Hermione heard footsteps move away from her. She watched as her wand was lifted off the ground and the light was put out. She was straining her ears to listen for every sound that was coming from around her. She hoped Pansy would be back soon...