Chapter 11

"What do you think Malfoy did to him?" Ron whispered to Hermione, who was sitting next to him at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. The sorting ceremony had just commenced and Ron couldn't wait for it to end; he heard there'd be sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

"I don't know. He's been acting so strangely since he got back, though." she answered.

Ron sneaked a glance at Harry. He was completely zoned out and looking straight forward, which was behind Ron and he immediately knew what Harry was looking at. He kicked Harry's leg under the table to get his attention.

"Are you alright, mate?" Ron mouthed to him. Harry nodded back and directed his attention to the sorting hat. Ron looked at Hermione and shrugged his shoulders, and applauded with the other students as Serena Jones was sorted into Gryffindor.

After everyone was full from a great dinner, the students were instructed to get a good night's sleep, for classes started the following morning. Harry, Ron and Hermione walked together to their common room.

"We have IRS first thing tomorrow." Ron said in effort of making conversation.

"Yes, I remember Professor Wilkins saying it would be an interesting class." Hermione said, looking at Harry from the corner of her eye for any sort of reaction.

"I wonder what we'll be doing." Ron said.

Hermione cleared her throat. "Well if I remember correctly, it's a physical lab..."

Harry stopped dead in his tracks. "What are you two on about? I already know what the assignment is, we talked about it at the Burrow, remember?" he said, trying to ease his agitation.

Hermione's face turned a light shade of pink and they continued their way to the common room silently. Once they made it through the portrait (the new password was 'Fairy Dust'), Harry trudged his way into the dormitory and fell asleep, not speaking a single word to anyone.

"I can't tell if he's mad or not." Ron murmured to Hermione.

She shrugged her shoulders. "Me neither, but he obviously doesn't want to talk right now."

"Malfoy must've done something on the train. Do you reckon?"

Hermione sighed as she started her way to the dormitory. "Yes, Ron, but we mustn't ask him about it. It'll just make him feel worse."

***

Harry woke up earlier than any of his classmates, probably due to the fact that he had IRS first thing today and he was up all night worrying about it. He put his glasses on and got dressed, decided that he didn't want to eat breakfast today, and started his walk to the IRS classroom.

He got there an hour and a half early, but it didn't bother him at all. It gave him time to relax before steeping into the dreadful classroom. He sat down on the cold, stone floor and leaned his head against the wall. He had his textbook clutched so tightly in his hands that his knuckles turned white, and it took all his power not to open it to the next chapter.

Unfortunately, Harry has no will power.

He felt his hands skim through the pages of the textbook and he peeked down to see the page numbers. Finally, he stopped at page 107. The title read Physical Engagement; Chapter 5. He closed his eyes very tightly and groaned. "Why? Why did I have to end up in this dumb class?"

"Now, Potter, I happen to think this is a very interesting chapter." 

Harry jumped at the unexpected voice, hitting his head against the wall. He closed the textbook and opened his eyes.