17 | the matching

seventeen
the matching.

"HAPPY LUPERCALIA, BITCHES!" Selene cheers a couple of weeks later at the Gray Room

"HAPPY LUPERCALIA, BITCHES!" Selene cheers a couple of weeks later at the Gray Room. She's standing on top of the bar, her hands over her head as she dances to the music. The entire coven is here for a party since this is the kickoff of the Lupercalia celebrations. Nick and Ambrose are on the dance floor, and once they spot her, they wave her over. She winks at them, mouthing she'll be there in a minute before she moves to get off of the bar.

But before she can, Dorian offers her his hand. "Need some help?"

"Thanks, but no thanks," Selene replies with a kind smile before getting down by herself. "I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself."

"I don't doubt it," Dorian nods as a group of warlocks yell for him. "Excuse me."

Before she can reply, he walks off. This has been the pattern between them for weeks. Dorian takes any chance he can to flirt with her and she does her best to reject him in a polite way. She likes Dorian, but she's perfectly happy in her own relationship. And she doesn't need him screwing it up.

So she shrugs before gently pushing her way through the crowd towards Nick and Ambrose, who pull her towards them. She stands in the middle of them, and the trio dance in perfect harmony, their bodies knowing exactly how to react towards each other.

But as the night drags on, the trio get tired and join Sabrina, Prudence, Agatha, and Dorcas at the edge of the room. Nick goes off to get drinks as Ambrose kisses Selene, not caring that there are other people sitting right next to them. Selene responds by wrapping her hands around his neck, kissing him back eagerly.

Nobody seems to care except Sabrina, who looks uncomfortable. Prudence huffs before rolling her eyes at the Spellman girl. "Oh, loosen up, Sabrina. They're just getting warmed up for Lupercalia, if you even know what that is."

"It's witches' Valentine's Day, right?" Sabrina questions, never having actually celebrated Lupercalia. Selene did it last year, and she was paired with a warlock named Melvin. He's a nice guy, but nothing romantic's ever happened between them.

Nick then returns with a tray of drinks he'd gotten from Dorian, which he sets on the table in front of them. He overhears what Sabrina just said, and he shrugs at her. "Lupercalia coincides with mortal Valentine's Day, yes. But in my opinion, it's just a lot of hype."

"I don't know, I like it," Selene states, pulling away from Ambrose to down a shot. She tilts her head back, and downs the liquid easily, like she's done so many times before. As she does, Ambrose moves so that he's kissing her neck. "It's one of the more... pleasurable holidays."

She giggles as she says this as Nick plants a kiss on Ambrose's hand. Prudence smirks at her sister, pleased she's related to someone who doesn't care about what people think of her and her boyfriends. But she scoffs at Sabrina. "Oh, please, guys, Sabrina's not so naive and innocent as all that. No one is after signing the Dark Lord's book."

"What was Dorian saying earlier?" Ambrose questions in between kisses as Selene weaves her fingers into his hair. She puts her free arm on the couch so that she can still hold Nick's hand.

"Mhm, not much," the girl shrugs, wanting to be honest. "I think he might like me."

Anybody else would've been jealous, but Nick and Ambrose just exchange knowing looks. Ambrose then grins at her. "Well, what's not to like?"

Selene rolls her eyes playfully before her cousin dances over to them, her eyes set on Sabrina. "Well, if it isn't my favorite Spellman. Come on, dance with me."

She offers Sabrina her hand, a tempting look on her face. Sabrina blushes, a small smile finding its way onto her lips before she takes Quinn's hand and lets her lead her onto the dance floor. Agatha stares at them, shock written all over her face. "I didn't see that coming."

Selene, on the other hand, did. Quinn has been spending time with Sabrina lately, but Selene is still skeptical about her cousin's unexpected return home. But Sabrina seems to like her, so Selene has been slowly warming up to her. Nick then leans over so that only his boyfriend and girlfriend can hear him. "Wanna get out of here?"

"Sure, lets go celebrate elsewhere," Ambrose nods as all three of them stand up. "Somewhere more private."
——

"Welcome, one and all, to Lupercalia, the Festival of the Wolves," Faustus welcomes the teen witches and warlocks at the Academy the next day. Selene is standing next to Sabrina, and they're standing right next to Quinn, who's the only witch besides Josie Scratch that's seated. Normally, only warlocks are allowed to be there, but Quinn likes boys and girls, and wants to be paired with Sabrina and Josie is gay. But it's perfectly fine that they're sitting since most witches are bi or pan. Selene is bi herself, but she's hoping she'll get paired with Nick. Ambrose is Top Boy, so he can't compete but he'll be coming along with them if they get paired together. Faustus then motions to his Top Boy. "Brother Ambrose."

"All right, fellas, take your places for the Matching," Ambrose yells, and everybody does as told. Selene goes to grab a piece of silk, but Dorcas stops her, putting her hand over the soft material.

"Don't even think about it," the redhead remarks, using a cold tone. She glares daggers at the Blackwood girl, feeling smug. "Two years ago, Prudence was paired with Nick for Lupercalia. Last year, Agatha was. This year, it's my turn."

"I guess we'll see," Selene retorts with a smirk. She's not jealous, but Dorcas is seriously getting on her nerves, which is why she doesn't feel bad about what she's about to do. Dorcas huffs before letting go of the piece of silk and storming off.

"All right, ladies, you know how this goes. When the music stops, take a seat on the closest witch or warlock closest to you," Ambrose instructs before putting a blindfold on. He begins to play his violin as Selene and the other witches circle around the warlocks. The witches move in unison, fluently.

And when Selene stops in front of Melvin, who's wearing a glamour to look like Nick, he sneezes. As he does so, Ambrose stops the music, and Selene goes to sit on Melvin's lap. As they'd predicted, Dorcas shoves Selene to the ground, and hops onto Melvin's lap, having no idea it's not Nick. She then looks at Selene with false sympathy. "Oh, sorry, Selene."

"It's fine," Selene shrugs, pushing herself to her feet before walking over to Nick, who has on a glamour to look like Melvin. She grins as she sits on his lap. "Hey, babe."

"Hey, gorgeous," Nick grins before turning back to face Agatha.

She gapes at them, shoving herself off of Melvin. As she does, the glamour comes off, showing his true self. "Wait... Melvin?"

"Uh... Nick gave me 100 bucks to wear a glamour," Melvin deadpans nervously. "Him and Selene thought you might try something like this."

"Predictable as ever," Selene states, glancing around to see that Sabrina is seated on Quinn's lap and that Prudence is sitting on Josie Scratch's. "This is gonna be a Lupercalia to remember."

UNEDITED