01 | the yule tree

one
the yule tree.

TWO WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS

PERSONALLY, SELENE LOVES the holidays. She's always in a better mood during this short span of time, because she loves seeing all of the happy mortals and immortals so jolly.

And this year is a special year since it's the first Solstice she'll be spending with her little sister, Leticia. Her stepmother, Constance died giving birth to a set of twins a few weeks ago, Leticia and her little brother. Selene's father, Faustus was hoping he would have a set of boy twins, and he wouldn't of reacted well to a girl and a boy. So Zelda and Prudence faked Leticia's death, and the baby has been living at the Spellman's home ever since.

Selene would've felt guilty for hiding the baby's existence from her father, but she sees the way her father looks at his new son like he's the best thing he's ever seen. Faustus had always wanted a boy to be his heir, and he was disappointed when he saw that Selene and Prudence are girls. So she does believe that Zelda made the right decision by hiding Leticia. The Spellman's, Prudence, and Selene are the only people who know the truth about the baby.

Selene will be spending the day before the solstice with her father and little brother, but she'll be spending the actual solstice with the Spellman's. Most people would think it's odd that she's not spending it with her blood family, but the Spellman's are like a second family to Selene.

But she's most excited about spending the holiday with her boyfriend, Ambrose Spellman. Their other boyfriend, Nicholas would be spending the holiday with them, but he's visiting his family. Selene and Ambrose both said their goodbyes to him a few days ago.

The duo and Hilda are decorating the living room of the Spellman house when Sabrina comes into the living room, smiling merrily. "The Christmas tree looks great, you guys."

"Sabrina, I wish you wouldn't call it that," Zelda rolls her eyes, standing in the corner of the room sipping a cup of tea. "It's a Yule tree."

Sabrina shrugs, but Hilda chuckles at their banter. "Christmas isn't so bad, Zelds. Plus, also, for someone who doesn't believe in it, you have got yourself quite a few presents."

"She's got a good point," Selene admits, putting another ornament towards the bottom of the Yule tree. She's seated on the hardwood floors, a box of old ornaments sitting beside her. Her red hair is thrown up into a messy bun at the back of her head. She's wearing a red sweater, black leggings, and red fuzzy socks—her usual Solstice attire. Ambrose is on the other side of the tree with a different box.

"Those are not for me," Zelda shakes her head, walking over to Leticia, who's sitting in her bassinet, watching them quietly. "Those are for baby Leticia. Imagine, a baby in the house just in time for the winter holidays. It couldn't be more perfect."

"Pity the child in question was abducted," Ambrose comments, as Selene puts a hand on her head.

"Not this again," the girl groans at her boyfriend. "It was for her safety. There's no telling how my father would've reacted to another girl being born before his golden boy."

"Okay, but what I can't fathom is how you guys expect to keep the bebe's existence a secret," Ambrose remarks, walking over to the couch and taking a seat. Selene puts her last ornament on the tree before sliding onto the couch beside him, throwing her legs across his lap. He puts a hand on her thigh, and uses his free hand to pull a book off the table beside the couch.

"What secret?" Zelda echoes, pretending to play dumb. "There's no secret. Leticia is a long-lost Spellman sent to us from the old country to raise, as we did Sabrina."

Selene smiles at Zelda, before Sabrina walks over to Hilda, showing her aunt an old picture of her deceased parents. Hilda beams at the picture, plucking it out of Sabrina's hands. "Oh, I remember when that was taken. Oh, it's hard, isn't it, this time of year? When we miss family most."

"I wish I could've had one Solstice with them, Auntie," Sabrina frowns sadly, missing her parents more than usual.

"Brina, I am not gonna let you cry so close to the Solstice," Selene declares, turning so that she can see her best friend. "You know what? You and me are gonna have a Christmas movie marathon, and eat some Christmas cookies. We can watch It's a Wonderful Life for you, and Home Alone for me."

"That sounds great," Sabrina replies, walking over to Selene and giving her a sideways hug.

"Before you two disappear, we should read A Christmas Carol," Ambrose says, opening the book. "Even Auntie Zee can appreciate that story."

"I like the ghosts in it," Zelda grins, turning the lights off so that Leticia can sleep.

"Well, Christmas is the best time for ghost stories."

"Okay, guys, I'm lighting the Yule log," Selene stands up, grabbing a box of matches out of the only desk in the room.

Zelda joins her at the fireplace, watching Selene light the match. "Remember, the Yule log is not a decoration, it is a protection. It must burn continuously from now, through the shortest day, through the longest night, until dawn. Otherwise, Satan knows what malevolent forces might come down our chimney. Creatures with perhaps deadly intentions."

"Then, let it burn," Selene smirks, letting the match drop into the fireplace. As soon as the touches the log, a small fire gets going, and as soon as Selene reaches out and puts her hand above the fire, it becomes a steady flame. "I don't know about you guys, but I don't want a repeat of last year. No demonic visits, please."

"I agree," Zelda nods at the redhead, before she rises to her feet, offering Ambrose and Hilda her hands. "And now, the Solstice blessing."

Selene takes Ambrose and Sabrina's hands before the group close their eyes, chanting the Solstice blessing. "May the log burn, may the wheel turn, may the evil spurn, may the sun return."

UNEDITED