09 | the nominations

nine
the nominations.

"GOOD MORNING TO you, my young warlocks and witches," Faustus greets all of the students and teachers at the Academy an hour later

"GOOD MORNING TO you, my young warlocks and witches," Faustus greets all of the students and teachers at the Academy an hour later. Several people mutter under their breath, but Selene stays silent from her spot between Nick and Sabrina. "If I could have your attention, please. Now, with every fresh cycle at the Academy comes the customary election of a new Top Boy, tasked with serving as a liaison between students and faculty, as well as providing a much-needed example for the rest of you lot. The floor is now open for student nominations."

"Nick!" a warlock named Luke yells, cupping his hands over his mouth to make his voice sound louder than it actually is. Everybody then begins shouting Nick's name, and Selene nudges her boyfriend's shoulder gently. He gives her a small smile before making his way toward Selene's father.

"As candidate for Top Boy, the Academy recognizes Nicholas Scratch," Faustus smirks at him, clearly pleased he's one of his daughter's boyfriends. "Would anyone like to challenge Nicholas?"

Nobody moves, but Selene notices her best friend tense up. Before she can say anything, Faustus chuckles. "I thought not. Young Master Nicholas, if you accept this nomination-"

"Excuse me, Father Blackwood, but can anyone run?" Sabrina speaks up, shocking everyone, even Selene. The position of Top Boy has always been given to a boy. Because of that, Selene has never even thought about running.

"The Top Boy is traditionally a male student-" Faustus begins before Sabrina cuts him off.

"But is that an actual rule in a rule book, or-"

"All Top Boy candidates are required to be full-time students, committed to our unseen arts," Faustus clarifies, clearly tired of the fact that Sabrina likes to challenge his rules. But that's one of Selene's favorite things about Sabrina.

"Well, I'm here, Father, full-time," Sabrina informs, a smirk forming on her lips. "For the foreseeable future. And I signed the Book of the Beast, because that was the Dark Lord's will. But unless he specifically hand-picked Nick, I'd like the opportunity to contribute to the Academy in a meaningful way."

"By disrupting the first morning assembly you attend?"

"By ensuring that all students, regardless of gender, feel they have a voice," Sabrina corrects Selene's father as Selene's cousin stands up.

"I nominate Sabrina Spellman," Quinn pipes up, smirking at the white headed girl. She hasn't seen a fire like that in a long time, and she looks forward to getting to know her cousin's best friend.

Selene then rises to her feet and joins her best friend and boyfriend on stage. "Since we're throwing in nominations, I'd also like to run."

She smirks at her father as she does so, and he nods, wondering why she feels the need to be so rebellious. "Of course you do."

"I nominate Selene Blackwood," Nick speaks up, matching his girlfriend's smirk.

"Seconded," a voice says from behind them, and everybody turns to see that it's Prudence.

"I don't mind a little competition," Nick declares, intrigued with the girl's actions. "Especially when they're both so damn cute."

The witches then begin to clap, and Faustus realizes he's defeated so he raises his hands to silence them. "Indeed, the Academy recognizes Sabrina Spellman and Selene Blackwood, who will join Nicholas Scratch in three challenges of witchcraft to be held in the Desecrated Church. The Inquisition, the Boil and Bubble, and the Conjuring. Followed by a vote. May the Dark Lord be with you three. Dismissed."

The entire coven claps before heading their separate ways. Nick turns to Selene, winking at her. "May the best witch or warlock win."

"Oh, don't worry, babe, I will," Selene remarks, giving him a playful look before he kisses her quickly on the lips. "I'll see you later?"

"You know it."

His warlock friends whisk him away as Selene turns to Sabrina. "We won't let this get between us, right?"

"Nothing could ever get close to getting between us," Sabrina insists, pulling the girl into a sideways hug.

UNEDITED