The Perfect Antidote (Thomas Shelby)

I put my pen down on my notepad for the eighth time this evening before putting my head in my hands and screaming. I've been trying to write the same sentence for three days now and no matter what way I write it, it never sounds quite right. Just as I'm about to pick up my pen and start writing again, a voice makes me jump.

'Writers block again, love?'

I could recognize that Brummie accent anywhere; Thomas Shelby.

My Tommy.

I've known Tommy since I was eight years old when my parents would let me play with all of the Shelby brothers. When I was sixteen and Tommy was eighteen, he asked me to be his girlfriend and by this point, I had developed a huge crush on him so I instantly said yes, and here we are, five years later, still going strong.

I slowly turned around in my chair to face Tommy who was standing in the doorway, a sad smile on his face as he sees me like this.

'I'm so close to getting it right! It's right there, I just can't write it down!' I start to feel myself getting emotional and before I know it, tears are streaming down my cheeks and I hide my face in the sleeves of my jumper.

I hear Tommy's footsteps move towards me and I hear the rustle of his clothes as he sits down on the floor. I feel his arms around me as he pulled me down to the floor with him so I'm sitting in his lap. I instantly wrap my arms around his neck and bury my head in-between his neck and shoulder, letting myself go and just sob, my tears soaking the collar of his shirt. He doesn't speak, just wraps his arms around my body and holds me tightly to him, leaning down to kiss the top of my head every now and then. I am surrounded by the smell of Tommy and it's the most comforting scent that I know. He then starts to slowly rock us both in an attempt to calm me down.

When, finally, my tears had stopped and I lift my head to look at him, he leans down to kiss me gently and I allow myself to get lost in the feel of his lips on mine and the feel of the hair at the top of his head running through my fingers. When he breaks the kiss, I smile gently and go to move from his lap back towards my desk to continue writing.

'Where the hell do you think you're going?'

'I need to get up and finish writing.'

'No.'

'What do you mean "no"?'

'Exactly that, (Y/N), you're not writing anymore tonight.'

'Tommy, I have a deadline, I need to write.'

'No, not tonight. You've not slept for three nights and you said so yourself that you can't think at the moment. You're not writing tonight.'

'But-'

I was cut off when I felt his lips on mine once more. Unlike the last kiss we shared, this one was more heated and harsher, with teeth clashing together and I felt Tommy's arms wrap even tighter around me, essentially locking me to him. It wasn't long before I felt all of the stress from the last three days leave my body momentarily and I realised just how tired I was. When Tommy felt that I had relaxed and I wouldn't try to get up again, his grip loosened slightly around me.

'What do you say we go to bed love?'

I couldn't respond so I sleepily nodded and I felt Tommy lift me up off the floor as he carried me towards our shared bedroom.

As he laid me down on the bed, I murmured, 'I'm going to get this sentence just right, I have to get it right.'

'Shh, love, I know you'll get it perfect, just like you always do,' he said as he slid into bed next to me, 'but for now, you need sleep so stop thinking about your writing. Go to sleep and you can get it right in the morning.'

He kissed my head as I lay down on his chest, the gentle rise and fall of his chest soothing me. Just before I succumbed to sleep I spoke once more.

'I love you Thomas Shelby.'

I heard him chuckle before he replied.

'I love you too, (Y/N), more than you can possibly know my perfect little author.'

The next morning, he was right, I managed to finally write that sentence just the way I wanted it.

'You, see I knew you could do it, love!'

You see, it's times like these when I realise just how lucky I am to be the only one who sees Tommy this way and since that day I've always believed that Thomas Shelby was the perfect antidote to any writers that I encounter.