Tell Me About Your France (Thomas Shelby)

'I remember the day I was called to work as a nurse. I left my home in Florida and went to France with the rest of the women who would be nursing there. The first few days in France are still pretty fuzzy for me now, I had never seen so much blood in one hit before and it pained me to see so many men in pain. They were all so young, I say that, I was only twenty myself. Anyway, one thing that I do remember is when a tunneler was carried in and placed in front of me.'

'I take it that tunneler was me, love,' the thick Birmingham accent that I had fallen so deeply in love with said from under me.

At the present moment, me and Tommy were lying in bed with my head resting on his chest and our fingers curled together in front of our faces.

'Yes Tommy, the tunneler was you.'

I was silent for a moment while I curled further into Tommy's side, making sure that the blanket was still covering the both of us. This was my favourite part of the day; when I had managed to convince Tommy to leave his work for the day and come to bed with me where, depending on his mood, he would either fuck me or make love to me. We would then lay in bed talking until we fell asleep.

'Love?'

I was jolted out of my thoughts when I heard his voice.

'Yes?'

'Everything alright? You stopped talking.'

'Yeah, I was just thinking.'

'Thinking ey? What about?'

'You and me. The way we met,' I replied smiling.

'Then think out loud, love. I want to hear your side of the story. Plus, you know I love your bloody accent.'

I laughed at him and took the cigarette from his lips before putting it between my own lips and putting it out.

'Okay. When the tunneler was brought in, the first thing I saw was a pair of bright blue eyes and I was instantly captivated by them.'

'What was his injury, love?'

'You know what it was, you were there,' I laughed.

'I know, I just want to keep hearing your voice.'

I stayed silent as a way of teasing him until he'd had enough. He wrapped his arms tighter around me and pulled me into him even more.

'Come on, love, I'm sorry! I won't interrupt anymore!'

'You promise?'

'I promise.'

'Fine. Anyway, this tunneler was brought in and I could see straight away that he was in an incredible amount of pain. When they laid him down on his front, I could see that he had a gunshot wound on his shoulder. I remember getting the bullet out and having to douse the wound in alcohol in order to sterilize it. This tunneler very quietly asked if he could hold my hand while I did it. When he slid his hand in mine, he was shaking. After it was over and he let my hand go, I saw that I had bruises the exact shape of his fingers already forming on the back of my hand.'

When I said this, I felt Tommy shudder and I felt him squeeze my hand a bit harder before he started to speak.

'Everytime I was injured in France, I would refuse to let any nurse treat me other than you.'

'Do you remember the day we were told that we were going home?'

'How could I forget?'

'You tell me about that then.'

'But I was enjoying listening to you.'

'Well I want to listen to you now.'

'Alright then, love,' he shifted so one arm was behind his head and the other arm tightened around my waist.

'Right then, I remember on that particular day, I woke up and couldn't get you out of my head, I needed to see you again so when I was told that me and my brothers were going home, I saw it as a perfect excuse to see you. So that's what I did. When I got to the hospital, I couldn't see you anywhere so I went to ask one of the other nurses and they told me that you were getting ready to go home and I had an idea. As soon as I saw you, I ran up to you and kissed you. I was so scared at that point that you wouldn't return my feelings. When you kissed me back, I knew I could then tell you my idea. I asked you to come home with me to Birmingham, "I can't go to Birmingham", you said.'

'Hey! I don't sound like that!'

'Are you shunning my American accent, love?'

'Well it was awful.'

'Do you want me to finish the story or not, love?' He smirked and raised an eyebrow.

I hid my face in his chest and nodded. I felt him laugh before he continued speaking.

'Anyway, I managed to convince you to come to Birmingham with me and here we are, five years later, lying in bed.'

I lazily smiled at him as I felt myself drift off to sleep.

'I love you, Thomas Shelby.'

'I love you too, (Y/N) Shelby.'