"He took me out for pizza" Part 2

FLUUUUUFFFFFFFF (and a bit of angst)

But it might be a little boring.

"Hey Dad?" said Max.

David felt a pang in his heart every time Max called him that. He didn't know what to do. Max only thought he was his dad because of a few memories on Parents Day.

He could either tell him the truth, that the reason they were hanging out on Parents Day was because his real parents didn't show up. The problem was that it would open up a can of worms where the ten year old boy with amnesia would find out that his parents didn't care about him.

He could also keep up the act of being his father for a little longer. It was such a sweet lie, he didn't want to give it up. The man didn't have it in him to break the boy's little heart.

So he lied. He pretended for Max's sake and the boy was happier because of it. Something about it felt so right. He always wanted a kid, more than an actual partner.

"Yeah kiddo," replied David in his normal, chipper tone.

"Nikki, Neil and I are the, like, troublemakers right?" He asked brightly.

"Yeah!" Exclaimed David excitedly. He was making such great progress over the last two days. "How did you find that out?"

"Well, I recalled countless times where we would try to get out of camp. I always called it a fucking hell hole. Camp may suck ass but it doesn't suck that much with everyone there, especially you."

David's eyes widened in surprise. He knew any child would have an unconditional love for their parents but did Max really mean what he said? Did David actually make his days better or was he thinking of one of his actual guardians.

"W-what do you mean by that?" David stuttered.

"Well, you were always nice and happy, oh, and you tried to make sure everyone had fun. Um, from what I can remember, you always encouraged me and believed in me. Not many other adults did."

The boy's face fell as he glanced down. David couldn't exactly read his expression. Max chuckled bitterly.

"I always called you 'annoying' didn't I?"

David didn't know how to respond. He always knew that Max didn't think he was deep down.

"I would always put you down, disrespect you, call you by your first name. I'm sorry... Dad," the boy croaked.

Water was building up in the small thing's eyes, threatening to spill. David could feel tears of his own welling up in his eyes.

He grabbed Max's hand and smiled gingerly at him.

"Hey, I know you didn't mean it buddy. Sometimes kids say stuff they don't mean. It's okay," said David.

Max sniffed and nodded his head as a small tear rolled down his cheek.

"What was home like?" Max asked innocently. "I can only remember..."

The question only made David feel guiltier. He wanted Max's memories to get better but the lie was too sweet. Max deserved better parents than what he had. David was sure Max would be heartbroken when he found out the truth.

He trailed off and glanced at the door where Nikki, Neil and Ered were staring in. He waved at them with a small smile. The Quartermaster was waiting with them at the door. The kids would probably be in more danger if he was looking after them.

They all started chatting to Max, the boy's usual snarkiness coming back. But he almost felt empty. He wasn't Max.

Max would've told him to suck a dick. Max would've been complaining about camp the whole time. Max wouldn't of been calling David "Dad."