"Look asshole, what I'm trying to say is sorry."

Requested by QuanIzuna

Another terrible day at Camp Campbell where kids threw mashed potatoes on the wall while screaming. Max stared at everyone as he sipped his coffee that was as burning as his morning rage. David was being his happy-go-lucky self, entertaining Spacekid as he babbled on about space.  Nikki and Neil were arguing about yet another thing, only adding to the chaos. 

His eyes met with Gwen's as they shared a look of contempt. They both sipped their coffee at the same time, Gwen raising her eyebrows slightly and Max smirking. 

His head pounded due to lack of sleep. Who knew that giving Nikki hot chocolate before bed would lead to her bringing an animal army into his and Neil's tent? Who also knew that it would take a whole night to get the animals out with the help of David? Not Nikki, apparently. 

Before he knew it, the red-haired idiot was approaching the table. No. No. No. NO. FUCK. He was coming closer, his eyes set on Max. It was way too early for that. The happy fuck smiled stupidly as he sat down. 

"Heya Max!" David cheered. "How are you doing this fine morning at our beautiful camp."

Max took a long sip of his black coffee and sighed. 

"Fuck off Camp Man," he growled. 

"Aw, what's wrong?"

Max stared forward and pretended he didn't hear the man. It was only recently he came to check up on Max in the morning. Maybe he thought that the boy was actually tolerating him for once. Max had to make sure that David knew that wasn't the case. 

"Come on Max," he tried, his smile faltering slightly.

Max kept staring ahead, not even bothering to entertain his counsellor. All the other times he talked to him and a part of him would never admit the man would ease him into liking it. 

"I get it, you're just tired. That sure was exhausting getting those animals out. And those rabies shot hurt a bunch didn't they?"

"Well if you had of been watching Nikki, we would have had more sleep," Max grumbled. 

"Well, I tried my best and that was all that mattered," he chirped. 

"Well, even with your best you failed as a camp counsellor. You couldn't even keep a sugar-hyped kid under control. If that's your best then it's pathetic."

"Max I don't think-"

"Another excuse for being a terrible camp counsellor?" Max interrupted. 

"Come on, that was a one time thing?"

Max chuckled to himself as he drummed his fingers on the table. "Really? Like that time you didn't know there was a missing camper and only cared about looking for him so you could win a stupid trophy? Or that time you punched Bonquisha's new lover in the face in front of us? Or that time when-"

"Enough!" David snapped. 

"What? Of the truth?"

"I, uh," he stuttered. "Am I really that bad?"

The soft tone in his voice as he asked the question caught Max off guard. Max wanted to take it back immediately, it wasn't like he meant it. Max's heart sped up each moment he had no idea what to do. He took a shaky sip of his coffee in an attempt to get his head straight. 

It only took a second but in that second he had to decide what to do. He had hurt the man's feelings but he wasn't going to let him know that he actually liked his camp counsellor. Was his reputation worth the destruction of David's feelings? The guy was just trying to make sure his camper was okay but said camper insulted him more than usual. Max purposely hit him where it hurt and it worked.