Baby Bird

My boy is a cinnamon roll. I kind of want to try a different style of writing.

Finally, some alone time. Max smirked to himself as he walked alone in the forest he was getting to know. The loud volume of the campers was echoing through the forest, Preston and David's cries, Nikki's growls and Nerris and Harrison's fighting. Honestly, he was just glad to be away from it all. 

A much as he loved making David and Gwen's life a living hell, he usually needed a break from it. David's suffering sometimes couldn't balance out the chaos going on. To be fair, he caused most of the chaos. Although he wasn't that far from camp, it was a lot more peaceful. 

He didn't want to admit it but when he was surrounded by the pine and birch above him and the dirt below him he felt more at home than ever. The bright green of the flora around him was soft and contrasted the dirty brown of the camp. The wild anemone flowers he saw everywhere reminded him of David. He would've looked so gay in a flower crown and would've been gay enough to make one for him. 

Looking around to see if anyone was watching, he picked about four flowers then shoved them into his hoodie pocket. He picked another white flower and held it between his thumb and pointer finger. The white flower in his hands reminded him of the pearls his mother would wear around her neck when she and his father went out to dinner. She always wore light colours such as white that would bring out her flawless, dark skin. Even when Max was holding the white flower in his dirty hands with his ungroomed nails the flower seemed to complement it. Maybe he could've been a better son if he took pride into his appearance. 

The boy snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the cheeping of birds a few meters away. Maybe bird watching would take him out of his nonchalance with everything. At least the birds were happy, they were never left behind. They were rewarded with flight as soon as they proved themselves. Max didn't know how many times he had to prove himself before he was acknowledged as a real person. But that was just humans how humans worked. 

He walked towards the sound as a brown and white bird flew to a branch in the tree. There was a cluster of branches and leaves that the bird was standing over. It didn't take a genius to realize a mother bird was at her nest. Max watched in admiration as the bent its head down towards the nest. It was feeding its babies. 

He sat there for a while, trying to glimpse at the babies. He knew, from all those pictures David showed him and the campers, that baby birds really fucking ugly. There was also a cute charm about them that Max would never admit he saw out loud. It must've been nice for those birds to have such a big family. Judging by all the noise, the family seemed really big. 

The big family rang a bell in Max's mind. He was pretty sure David had said something about what happens to a bird in a big family. Was it the weakest one? Before Max could fully remember what David said he saw the mother bird lift something out of the nest. He let out a gasp as the bird cried out. It was falling. 

Out of instinct, Max rushed over to it before it could hit the ground. He held his hands out desperately, inches away from the bird. A soft bag of flesh landed in his hand, breathing heavily and squirming around. Max jumped back in surprise, almost dropping it. 

He took a closer look at the gross thing squirming in his hands. Half of its body was covered in feathers while the other half had pink skin exposed. Its small eyes were open and looking to the side. Something about the ugly bird managed to catch Max's eye. How it was helpless, just abandoned before it got a chance to prove itself. 

Snapping out of his trance, Max put the bird down onto the soft dirt. He had to create a nest. He didn't know why but the bird just needed care. He took his hoodie off and scrunched it up. Putting the bird in, he knew he had to find a proper nest for the bird.