prolouge

Cyrus wasn't a dumb kid

Cyrus wasn't a dumb kid. They didn't need to talk to him like he was a four year old that didn't understand the concept of death.

He was a whole eight years old and already knew as he lay in his hospital bed that his parents were dead. Gone.

He had known even before people had come to help get his family and him out of the car. He had seen his parents interlocked and limp hands through the space between the seats. He had seen the blank look in their eyes.

He had cried as they pulled him away from the car his parents were still in.

But yet, they still felt the need to explain that his parents had died on impact of the car crash.

Now he was alone. All by himself. With no parents.

It seemed strange because his parents were the first ones to teach him the concept of death even though he had never lost a family member.

They had taught him about death when they went fishing and they had to kill fish. When he first saw them kill a fish he had cried and screamed about them hurting it but his mommy had explained that they kill the fish quickly so that that it doesn't feel anymore pain.

When they caught crabs, they made sure it was dead before they boiled it because that would have been cruel if they dropped him in while he was alive. His crab had been cooked peacefully.

And he knew that his parents had left peacefully too. Holding hands with each other. They could no longer feel anything and that's what Cyrus took solace in. They didn't feel the pain he did; and he was okay with that.