thirteen

Cyrus groaned as his phone woke him up for the seventh time that night

Cyrus groaned as his phone woke him up for the seventh time that night. It kept ringing and he kept declining, not even checking where they had just come from. But now it was getting on his nerves.

"Hello," Cyrus said groggily into the phone as he sheilded his eyes from the light of his phone.

"Cyrus."

He froze in his bed at the sound of his foster dads voice practically growling through the phone. He hadn't heard from him in three months. Well.. he hadn't heard from him mostly because he wasn't answering his phone.

"H-hey Hayze."

There was silence on the phone and the sound of a muffled soft voice telling him everything would be alright.

"What sh~t have you been getting into, boy?"

Cyrus sat up in his bed and scratched the back of his head in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"You dissapeared without telling us. Took your savings. Left Rosie in a panic. And then she comes home today and she's all bruised up because some guy said he needed to get in contact with you."

Cyrus' blood ran cold and his strong muscles tensed as his grip on his phone tightened. "W-what? What guy?"

"I don't know. Rosie won't talk about it and she's locked herself in her room to draw all day," Hayze mumbled angrily through the phone. "In fact, she hardly wants to go to school anymore. She's been acting strange and fidgety ever since you left. And i think it runs a lot deeper than her missing you."

"I'm sorry Hayze. I didn't know i'd cause so much trouble."

River's soft voice rang through the phone, though it was slightly hoarse. "It's okay baby boy. We know you've been going through a lot." River's voice got muffled towards the end and Cyrus could hear Hayze gently scolding his wife.

There was the sound of shuffling in the background and then a  slight smack and a yelp. Cyrus paused, blankly staring at the wall as there was another smack and then a giggle which was then muffled. "Be quiet, pretty girl. Just for a second." Their voices fell hushed and then there was the sound of a small kiss and Cyrus scrunched up his nose.

He was about to complain but then Hayze was back on the phone.

"She's lying. You need to come fix this sh~t right now or i'll come up there and drag your ass back myself." And there was angry Hayze again. Totally different from how he was just dealing with River.

"You don't even know where i am."

"Yes i do. I manage your cards remember. Your bank statements are still being sent to me. I need you back home before monday. You have three days. Get on it."

And then Hayze was gone and the silence of the room he was staying in was defeaning.

He couldn't run from his problems any longer; instead, he had to face them head on.

And he'd start with Rosie.