2

*Sam's POV*

"Wake up assholes!" I hear coming from the hall. It's David, one of the leaders of our town. I forgot that our team was on duty today. It's too damn early for this shit, even the sun isn't up yet. He starts banging on all of our doors in the dorm to alert us that we are leaving soon. 

Our group, camp, base, whatever the hell you want to call it is run by three leaders in charge of the three parts of our camp. When you're brought into the group, you're put in one of the three sections that the leaders think you should go in. Bella, who is the kindest of the leaders, is in charge of the medicine and health. Patricia, who is the most cunning, is in charge of farming and cooking. David, who is the most strict, is in charge of security and hunting, I'm in his section. It's not easy or fun living in this community but at least I'm alive, right?

I shake my head to wake myself up. If I fall back asleep, David would ring my neck. I got out of the bunk bed and looked to the top bed. I sighed as I saw the empty bed. I keep on forgetting my brother died a few weeks ago. He saved me from a some walkers but he got bitten in the process and David did the protocol, shoot him in the head before he turned. Do I hate David for doing that? No, but I don't love him either. David was actually showing kindness by killing him and my brother knew that because we weren't strong enough to show that kindness to our family members when they got bit. We were cruel and let them slowly and painfully turn. We couldn't bring ourselves to put them out of there miseries. I'm the only one out of my family that is left alive.

"You have five minutes to be ready and downstairs ladies!" David shouted, snapping me out of daydream. I quickly rushed to get on my gear. I have to be early because David hates me the most out of our team because I'm weaker than the rest of the team but I don't mind being picked on. If he picks on me, that means nobody else was getting picked on.

After I had gotten ready, I ran downstairs and stood in line. I was the second to get down there, after Kat of course. She is always the first ready. "Samuel. Good job. A minute early." David says as he looks at his watch. What the hell was that? A compliment?

"Thank you sir." I say in the manliest voice I can do. Out of the corner of my eye I see Kat look at me and smile. I don't look back though, in fear of upsetting David. I just keep on looking straight forward until the rest of the team joins us. We all stand in a straight line, waiting for David's orders.

"Right then ladies, assignments." David sighs as he picks up his clipboard and starts telling people who will be working security/ patrolling the border of the town. I'm never put on outside duty because I don't like going outside the town. Usually I'm on security but I'm shocked when I don't hear my name being called out. That means I'm on the hunting/ gathering team, shit! "Corey, Elton, Aaron, Jake, Kat and Samuel, you will be coming with me to gather and hunt." He informs as he starts walking to the armoury. We all follow and I don't dare say anything. David and I are on good terms for once and I don't want to ruin that.

Word count: 626