7

*Colby's POV*

They made me spend a few more days in the hospital, to make sure I was okay before they took me back to my family. In those few days, I hadn't seen Sam at all. I know he has orders but why do I feel like he's avoiding me? I'm probably being paranoid. My dad talked to the leaders of this town and it looks like we're staying. It is for the best because being on the road with and newborn baby is basically asking for death. They gave us a few days to settle in but today we are going to be our jobs, except Joy of course because she is still recovering from giving birth. We walked up to the town hall and walked in. The leaders were waiting for us.

"Good morning!" Patricia smiled. She too cheery and I don't trust it. "Let's get straight down to business. Mrs. Brock, you'll be training as a nurse. Devyn will be your coach. Mr. Brock, you'll be working on the farm. Basically tending to the crops and looking after the livestock and finally Colby. You'll be working security and going out to gather supplies. Colby, if you follow David, he'll show you to your new dorm room." She smiled as she gestured to David.

"Wait, why can't Colby live with us in the house you gave us?" My mum argued, obviously not liking the fact that we'll be separated.

"Because all the guards live together so it's easier. This is the way it is." Patricia said in a stern voice. I could see my mum getting ready to fight and that would get her in trouble. I put my hand on her shoulder. 

"Mum, it's ok." I whispered and it seemed to calm her down a little bit. She turned to me.

"I don't want you to get hurt." She whimpered, being an over protective mum like usual. I sighed and hugged her. "Be safe, Okay?" She whimpered.

"Okay, I love you." I whispered.

"Love you too." She whimpered before we both pulled away from the hug. I walked over to my dad and he gave me a hug as well.

"It's not like you'll never see each other again. All of you have days off to see each other." David groaned. I pulled away from the hug and David walked over.  "Follow me." David said and I did as I was told. I followed David to the dorms, keeping my head down the whole way there. We walked down the halls until we reach what I assume is my new room. He opened the door and we both walked in. I immediately spotted someone lying on the bottom bunk, facing away from us. "Wake up!" David shouted at the boy, making me jump. The boy jumped and sat up, causing I'm to hit his head on the bunk bed. It was Sam. He held his head and groaned. "Samuel, this is your new roommate and I know I don't have to introduce you because I know you've already met." He said before he walked out of the room. I just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to say. He was still rubbing his head as he looked up at me.

"Sooo... you've been assigned to guard duty, huh?" He asked with a soft smile.

"I guess." I sighed as I fiddled with my hands.

"You okay?" He asked as he stood up.

"I'm fine." I sighed as I made eye contact with him. I felt my cheeks heating up so I turned away from him. Why the fuck am I blushing? I don't even know the guy that well. 

"We should probably get some sleep. Rounds start pretty early in this place." He yawned as I heard him lay back down.

"O-okay." I stuttered as I climbed up to the top bunk and got under the covers.

"Night Colby." I heard from the bottom bunk.

"Goodnight Sam." I responded before I closed my eyes.   

Word count: 671