8

*Sam's POV*

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of someone whimpering. It must have been Colby. I wondered why he was crying. I sighed as I sat up and stretched before I stood up and climbed up the ladder up to Colby's bed. Colby was facing the wall so I couldn't tell if he was asleep or not. I think he was sleeping and he was having a nightmare so I climbed up and lay next to him. I remember my brother would lay next to me when I would have nightmares, although that was like fifteen years ago when I was around seven years old. Almost immediately his whimpering stopped. I couldn't tell if I had stopped his nightmare or woken him up. He rubbed his cheeks to get rid of the tears and sniffled before he rolled over to face me. He looked at me and I could see fear and confusion in his eyes. "Sam? W-what are you d-doing?" He stuttered, his voice cracking from the crying.

"You were crying and I didn't know what to do." I informed as I looked at his red, puffy eyes. "Why were you crying?" I asked and he turned away. He looked ashamed and embarrassed that I had caught him crying. "I'm sorry, I'll leave." I sighed as I sat up and started to scoot towards the ladder.

"NO!" He squealed as he grabbed my wrist. I turned around to look at him as he buried his face in the pillow. "Please stay. Please don't leave me alone." He whimpered, his voice muffled by the fabric that covered his face.

"Okay." I whispered as I crawled back over and laid back down next to him. He tightened his grip on my wrist which caused me to turn and look at him. "Colby, are you sure you don't want to talk about what's bothering you?" I asked but his only response was to tightened his grip on my arm and hide his face in the pillow even more. I sighed realising that I probably wouldn't even get a word out of him until the morning. I relaxed and looked up at the plain ceiling. I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep whilst lying next to him but I don't mind if me being here helps him sleep.

After a few hours of staring into nothing and thinking of random things, I felt Colby moving in his sleep. I looked over to him, only to see him snuggling into my side. I quickly looked away and blushed. My face turned bright red as I felt him nuzzle his face into the crook of my neck. What should I do? Should I wake him? No, he needs sleep but... isn't this weird? I mean, I've met him twice and now he's snuggling up to me like we're lovers or something? I looked down at him and a smile made it's way onto my face. He's adorable, especially when he sleeping- Sam, stop it! You barely even know the guy! What the hell is wrong with me? I sighed as I close my eyes and tried to fall asleep.

Word count: 537