The Fairy Ring

You walked, and walked, and walked through the wood. It was nice out today, soft light filtered through the leaves above you. Really, what better place could you be in?
Any where but here honestly. As beautiful as the day was, you didn't feel it. The sun shone warm, but you felt cold. The yellow of its light conflicting with the blues and purples along your shoulders and upper arms. You wanted to be somewhere, anywhere else but here. That's when you heard a voice, low and soft.
"Say Pal..." it croaked
You whipped around looking for the source, but nothing. Nothing was there except the brush. Now you, you were raised on fae folk, fairies, elves, and the like. Your conscious brain knew they weren't real, but still the child you'd buried away hoped, so you enter the bushes.

It was dimmer here, light didn't come through the canopy as easily. Each step took you further from the trail and before you knew it, you found yourself in a ring of mushrooms and flowers. You froze.

A fairy ring.

From all around you heard the voice grumble "Ah, glad you could join me." It said-he said?

"Is this a joke?!" You shout into the air. You're met with deep chuckles. "Are, are you a...fae?"

"Ah, yes, little child. And there is no need for such formal names" he started "I thought I could offer assistance."

The air hung as you hesitate "Assistance with what?"

"Why with finding my kin, the gnome, the elf, the fairy. But-oh..." he trailed off. "You don't really want that, do you?" You shiver feeling watched with keen eyes, the shadows growing in an oncoming darkness. "You would much rather come to the land of fairies, to dance and belong in eternal happiness. A world anew" You stood there dumbfounded as seconds ticked on for an eternity.

"You can do that?" You tentatively whisper. "I had always thought that the fae lands were a story, something to make children behave-"

"Or bring hope to supposed 'desperate fools'." He finishes. "So do, we have a deal?"

You sit in the middle of the ring, mulling things over.

This was your chance to escape, to be free! You could start over and if this fairy were being honest then it would be the most wonderful place to do so. You stood up, mouth open to answer, when you paused. Slowly your mouth closed again. What would your parents think? No-that wasn't important, what about your friends? Well, friend... and your pet? What about your future? Your education? There is so much that you could-

Oh who are you kidding? You can't even figure out which major to enter, let alone what you would do with the rest of your life. Maybe they were right, you couldn't possibly amount to anything, could you? They always said so...
With a deep breath you look around again "Deal."

It happened faster than sinking in honey could be. Oh how you wished it hadn't taken so long... As soon as the words left your mouth the ground became soft and oozy, replaced by a black muck sucking at your feet like mud.
This wasn't right.
This. Wasn't. Right.

This wasn't a ring

You had to run-try to run, you pulled your feet, slopping free of the gunk. Each step you took you sank deeper, and deeper. First your ankles, then your knees, your waist. Running was no longer an option. 'I'm going to die here, going to die alone and scared- will I suffocate? Will I drown? What if I-' your racing thoughts are interrupted when you see a clawed hand reach out of the dark abyss.
"Let's speed this up a bit, shall we?" the hand clamps itself over your face and head cutting off all air, pushing you deeper. You scream, but its muffled and garbled. 'Someone had to hear me, they'll find me, save me-'

But no one did.