Sploosh

"Really?" A look of relief spreads across his face "oh thank goodness." You watch him rub the back of his neck.
"So what's wrong?" You walk past him, sitting on a log by the fire.
"Well, ya see, it's kind of like-" he stops to think "sorta- it's complicated.." he sits across from you.
"Well, we've got time, you can tell me when you're ready."
"Thank you, miss, in the mean time, I think it appropriate that we start meal preparations. What do you think?"
"That might be a good idea."
He gets up and shuffles through a chest near his crock pot. "How's stew sound?"
"Pretty good, bud. We might want to throw in anti-scurvy though."
"What? You mean berries?"
"Yeah, they're a little sour so I thought they have a bit of citrus in them. Citrus keeps scurvy away"
"Oh, really?" He puts the meat in the crock pot "I wish someone told me that before I got here." He almost throws the carrots in-
"Hold it!" He freezes mid reach "aren't you gonna clean those?"
"The heat should make it fine."
"The heat will not make it fine! They're still covered in dirt. Come on, let's get em washed up." You stand, pulling him along with you to the river. "Ya gotta give em a good scrubbing, who taught you to cook?"
"Myself?"
"How haven't you died already?!"
He doesn't answer that, it's better not to.
"Alright, lets get this goin." You kneel down on the damp river bank, he follows suit. You take a carrot lightly from his hand and plunge it into the water. "Ya gotta be sure to get all the nooks and crannies. Thank goodness we aren't working with potatoes."
"Okay..." he mimics you, watching how you do it first. He stares just a moment longer at your hands before daring a glance to your face. A glance becomes a stare and- oh, he knows it's rude to stare, but he can't help it. Your eyebrows furrowed, lips drawn into a line while you work. You're pretty.
You glance over at him to see if he's alright. His eyes immediately snap back down to the task at hand. What's that look for? Had you done something wrong somehow? Or had he really..? Busted. So busted. You force yourself to keep your eyes on your own work, fighting the heat creeping up your neck.
"Ah!"
"Sorry!" He drops one of the carrots in the water with a plunk. In his scramble to grab it water splashes everywhere and doesn't help the situation at all. You try to use your hands to block the water
"Wilson stop! Oh my gosh!" You almost giggle.
He finally pulls the carrot up by the leaves, sleeves and knees soaked "what?"
"You're getting me soaked you dork!" You splash him.
Water. In his hair. Oh hell no. "Madam. You have started a war I don't think you were ready for." He pushes a huge wave into your face.
You sputter and blink in shock "Wilson! I thought you were a gentleman."
"Oh my, well-" you cut him off, shoving him into the water "grah!" He grabs your arm pulling you in with him.
"Fiend! Tyrant! Jerk!" You stumble to your feet in the knee high current. "Betrayal!" You point at him dramatically, shoving back all your wet hair.
He laughs sitting up in the stream. "You should see the look on your face my dear." You splash him again for good measure. "So that's how it's gonna be huh?" He grins pulling up a clump of sea weed.
"Noo!" You cry, running up stream. He gives chase, waving the plant clump in front of him like a mad man. "I'm gonna get ya!"
You slip on a slick stone and go sprawling in the water. You flip over, trying to back up with your hands, but it's too late!
"Haha! Got you!" He tackles you and shoves the nasty plant into your hair.
"Nooo...your awful. Horrible. The worst." You groan, struggling to pull the green strings out of your hair.

He's completely silent as he stares down at you...beneath him...effectively pinned.
"What?" You ask, still oblivious. It finally dawns on you the position you both are in.
"I'm so sorry!" "Sorry, sorry, sorry."
You both say, words over lapping each other. You scramble apart in opposite directions and catch your breath.
"Forgive me. Im so very sorry for that. That wasn't very gentlemanly of me..."
"Apology...accepted." You say still in a bit of a daze. "I think we uh, got all the dirt off. We should be fine putting the carrots in the stew now."
"Right, right." He pulls you up and you help each other to the bank. You each grab your carrots and slosh back up to camp.
"You didn't leave the crock pot on, did you?"
"I don't think so..?"
You get back to his base and thankfully nothing's burned down. He did indeed forget to turn on the pot.
"Do you have a knife, Wilson?"
"Yeah, here." He hands it to you from his pocket.
"Thank you," you lift the lid off the pot and cut up the carrot.
"Don't you need a cutting board or something?"
"No, you can just use the middle of your thumb, see?" You show him how to use your thumb as a brace. He copy's you, many hands make light work.
"Ouch!" Wilson drops what he's holding and puts his thumb in his mouth.
"Are you okay?!" You pull his hand out of his mouth "let me see.." you give it a good hard look over "where's your first aid kit?"
"In the chest over there..." he points to a chest near his tent.
"Nice. Keep pressure on it, okay?" You rush and grab a random arm full of stuff.
"You're making a bigger fuss out of this than you need to." He grins at you hurrying around
"I don't know how deep it is..." you come back and take his hand again, wiping at the cut to get it clean.
"Ow! Easy."
"Oh, don't be such a big baby..." you wrap up his thumb "there."
"Thanks.." he ruffles your hair. "We'll get the pot cooking."

"So you feel up to telling me what's wrong yet?"

—-two updates in one week! It's about to get busy so it may be a while again-—