Chapter 3

She awoke to a throbbing pain in her head and a weight on her chest. Trying to push off the weight, she realized her hands were being held over head by the man she kicked. "Get off of me!" she yelled.

The weight was the man named Petey and his hands were roaming her body. "She's got spirit, I like that," Petey said as he reached for her breast, squeezing hard.

Samantha bit her lip from crying out and bucked her body up to throw him off but the man just laughed and raised her skirts higher.

Samantha opened her mouth to scream, but the man holding her hands held both her hands with one of his and put the other dirty hand over her mouth. "No one's gonna hear ya honey," Petey explained. "Me and Vic are the only ones around for a ways." Petey lowered his head and nuzzled her neck. This couldn't be happening. Samantha closed her eyes and prayed for the first time since her parents died. How can a day that started out so beautifully, turn out to be her worst nightmare. Refusing to let these animals do anything more to her body, she brought her knee up, catching him right in the groin. Pain etched on his face as he groaned, rolling off of her and onto the ground. Instantly, Vic stood over her, dragging her by her hair and slapped her. Samantha lounged for his eyes and was able to scratch him and made a run for her horse. As she was reaching for the rifle, a bullet kicked the ground near her foot, stopping her movements. She turned to see Petey still on the ground, holding a smoking gun.

"Next time I won't miss," he said through clenched teeth. "Now get back over here."

Samantha started to approach when she heard footsteps behind her. With a groan she raised her arms. She felt a hand at her waist, pushing her behind something solid. Opening her eyes, she realized it was a solid form of a man. A large man holding guns in each hand, pointed at her attackers.

"Don't worry, miss. I'll protect you." His silky whisper went through her, making her shiver. "Ok boys, party's over. I'm taking the lady back to town and you boys in."

Petey and Vic snickered. "There's only one of you and two of us. I think you'll be puttin' down your gun there and mosey along," Vic threatened.

"Two of us sir." Samantha said as she held the rifle towards Petey. "I think the odds are pretty even now, wouldn't you say Vic?"

Samantha heard her rescuer chuckle.

"Hell, Vic, she can't shoot that damn thing," Petey said.

Samantha shot very close to Petey's thigh. "Next time, I won't miss." Both men dropped their guns.

Another man approached, grabbing Vic by the scruff of the neck. "See you didn't need my help after all." Samantha saw the back of the stranger that spoke. Her instincts were rusty. She never heard him either.

The two strangers quickly tied both men up and led them to their horses tethered near hers. Samantha looked at her hero and her breath caught. His arresting good looks totally captured her attention. He was tall, rawboned and beardless with an ingenuously appealing face. His hat covered his hair but a few golden locks were visible near the nape of his neck but it was the Nordic blue of his eyes that held her captive. He smiled at her showing a deep set of dimples surrounding sensual lips.

Samantha shook her head to clear her mind. Why was her heart beating so fast? Was it fear or was it this man? No, it couldn't be him. Robert was the only man for her and now he's dead. That's what was wrong with her. Shock.

"Are you hurt, miss?" His tone had a degree of warmth and concern. Samantha couldn't find her voice; she just shook her head. "Well, please let me escort you to town while my friend takes these two to the town jail."