Chapter 13

This was all wrong. Was she the only person who could see it? When Samantha walked into the living room, the priest was already there. Off in a corner was Carmen holding Amanda, smiling and Cook waited by the kitchen door. Now here she stood, in front of a priest marrying a man she doesn't even know.

                Cade stood to her right, facing the priest, listening. Samantha took another look around the room. It seemed no one would come to her rescue. Carmen was smiling from ear to ear.

                When she was a child, Samantha dreamt of a big wedding. Her father walking her down the aisle towards the man she loved. Her mother sitting up front, crying happy tears. After her parent's death, she believed Freddie Mac would walk her towards Robert. That was the plan. This stranger next to her wasn't Robert but his brother. Has she gone mad? She had to stop this.

                Samantha opened her mouth to protest but instead heard herself say, "I do." She looked into Cade's blue eyes as he recited the vows and slipped a ring on her finger. Somehow the deed was done and Cade softly pressed his lips to hers as Carmen walked towards them, handing her Amanda. Her life was changed forever but luckily she still had Amanda, the most precious person in her life.

                Cade watched the play of emotions on Samantha's face. Shock was the first emotion but now she smiled at Amanda. She looked like an angel. Feeling like an outsider, Cade decided to take a walk and look for that boy he saw earlier.

                                Samantha saw Cade leave as relief flowed through her. She was so at peace at the lake just a few hours ago and now she was a married woman. The first thing she needed to do was tell Freddie Mac and explain how her husband...Just thinking of him as her husband caused butterflies in her stomach. Shaking her head, Samantha turned towards the kitchen and left through the back door. Not finding Cade, she practically ran to Freddie Mac's cottage.

                Lucy opened the door at Samantha's frantic knock. "What happened? Is Amanda alright?" Lucy's voice was filled with concern.

                "Amanda is fine. I'm not. Where's Freddie Mac?"

                Lucy pointed to the back of the house as Samantha lifted her skirts and ran towards him, throwing herself in his arms and wept.

                Freddie Mac just held her, his face etched in confusion. After a few moments, Samantha found the strength to explain.

                "Are you tellin' me that Robert is not Amanda's father?" he roared.

                "Oh pa. Don't yell. It happened so suddenly and I was confused."

                "Obviously." His voice thick with sarcasm. "Mistaking Cade, a Texas Ranger for his dead brother."

                Samantha gasped and pulled herself out of his arms. "Do you actually think I threw myself at him?" Samantha walked towards the house. "I'll admit sleeping with Cade was a mistake but I'm not sorry that I have Amanda in my life."

                Freddie Mac saw the determination in her stance and the anger he caused. "Sit down, son."

                She just crossed her arms in front of her. Freddie Mac walked towards his rocking chair and sat. "So now we have a Texas Ranger living with us?"

                The realization of what she'd just done sat heavy on her shoulders. She almost guaranteed her family going to jail. What was she going to do?

                "Don't worry,he probably won't recognize me anyway, now that I'm cleaned up." Freddie Mac sent her a wink which seemed to soothe her.