Chapter 12

Roddy Laws waited for his contact. Damn his luck. When he found out that Samantha Harris was still alive, he headed straight to Proffitt. Needing money he decided to rob the bank and shot that stupid cripple that wouldn't listen. How was he supposed to know it was a Ranger's brother? That girl was more trouble that she was worth. Roddy wanted to lay low for a while but his money ran out and he needed more and that's when the MacDonald's found him again. He was caught off guard but was thrilled when he spotted her among the gang. Now that he knew her identity, all he had to do was search for the one that looked like a little boy. Her disguise was good but he didn't mistake the lack of whiskers on her face. She was a helluva shot. Got him in the shoulder.

Remembering the shootout made his shudder. Unconsciously, he flexed his arm. Once he was feeling better, he came out of hiding. His luck was terrible because he stumbled upon that damn Ranger McKay and almost lost his life again. The only thing that had kept him going was his need to kill Samantha Harris. She made him kill his only one true love. Roddy was told he had nine lives like a cat. Well, as of now he probably only had around four lives left but before he used those last four, he'd make sure he took Samantha Harris with him and that Ranger also.

Roddy turned when he heard a twig snap behind him.

Pointing his gun at his contact, he grinned. "Now that's how you git your balls blown off."

"Damn Roddy. You knew I was comin'." The man answered.

Putting away his gun, he leaned on a nearby tree and crossed his arms, wincing as his shoulder caused him some pain. Damn that Samantha Harris, he thought to himself.

"I've got some news. To kill your two little birdies with on bullet."

"What the hell are you talkin' about?" Roddy was getting impatient.

"Samantha Harris and Cade McKay are together and they have a child."

Roddy smiled as he pushed himself off the tree."Mickey, my brother, you did a great job." Roddy slapped Mickey's back. "I've got me a plan."

Cade dunked himself into the tub to rinse himself off. He couldn't stop thinking on how he was a father. A beautiful little girl with his blue eyes and Samantha's dark brown hair. His heart twisted as he thought of them both. How he abandoned Samantha that day and how much he missed her this past year.

After killing Roddy Laws, he thought about heading back to Proffitt and back to Samantha but he needed to head back East to tell his step mother, Phyllis, about Robert. Phyllis was so distraught about Robert; he stayed an extra week with her. Then he stumbled upon Barbra. At first she believed he had come back for her but he explained that her leaving him was the best thing to happen to him. Cade believed Barbra was his true love until she left him for an older, richer man. At first he was devastated but now he felt she had done him a favor. After his confrontation with Barbra, he knew he had to go back and talk to Samantha. To be with her and tell her how sorry he was and to give him a second chance.
He never thought he would come back to find he fathered a child. Thinking about little Amanda, he smiled. He knew what he had to do.

Standing from the tub, sloshing water over the sides, he reached for his towel and rubbed himself dry. Flexing his sore shoulder, he dressed and walked out of his room and towards the church.

Barbra Peterson held on to the carriage as it turned roughly to the right and onto another rough road. Not for the first time during this trip, she thought about her decision. Just last week she was sitting in her parlor in Boston, thinking about her encounter with Cade. He left without a word. Even her visits to Phyllis McKay, she remained tight lipped to Cade's whereabouts. Luckily her friend Sally Miller had written to her and mentioned how Cade had helped her with the birth of her son. If Cade left Boston, then he probably returned to Proffitt, Texas where his brother once lived.