Part 15

Family, a word that's mostly taken for granted by all of us, home, is something we ask a break from every now and then. Well some of us do, some of us don't, cause we find solace where we love. For some it's a sanctuary and for others, it's like a cage they're wanting to escape for a greater freedom.

Perfection eludes us all; we each hold onto the illusion of our flawlessness, a far cry from reality. Taking a break from loved ones because we believe they don't grasp us completely seems a bit unfair, doesn't it?

But for Arnav, the last 29 years had been a journey far removed from understanding himself, as he constantly prioritized everyone around him. He had become the linchpin for all that mattered to his family—attending religious ceremonies punctually, despite his personal loss of faith years ago, ensuring he was home in time for dinner because his sister insisted he take his medicine, bringing back expensive gifts for his Mami from his business trips overseas to light up her world, and sharing coffee moments with his brother by the poolside, fulfilling his role as the elder sibling his brother greatly admired.

Time indeed marches on, unforgiving and relentless. There was a chapter in his life where his entire existence danced in harmony with his family's rhythms, and theirs with his. It wasn't a solo journey of perpetual giving on his part; they were his sanctuary, his silent warriors understanding the depths of his soul. Acknowledging his complex nature wasn't simple; he became a fortress of solitude and prickliness following the loss of his parents.

Yet, his sister delicately navigated his need for isolation, respecting his moments of retreat. His brother saw through the storms of his anger, recognizing the pain disguised as fury whenever things went awry at ARD. His nani, with her gentle wisdom, accepted his reluctance to immerse in the chaos of family gatherings, knowing well his battle with the social world. And his mami, with her variety of bright, cheerful expressions, effortlessly deciphered his language of love communicated in whispers and gestures. They were a constellation of understanding, each star shining its light on him, illuminating his path with empathy and love.

How did the tides shift? The exact moment of transformation eluded him. Was it Khushi's entrance into his life that steered his focus away from his family? Yes, it was. Not in a bad way, he agreed.

Since Khushi became a part of his world, he acknowledged that his life had taken on a certain chaos. Expressing emotions wasn't his forte, while she embodied everything emotional. Talkative by nature, she filled the space with words he seldom shared. He, resistant to vulnerability, found her constantly nudging him towards unveiling his fragile side. They were total opposites, but that's what made them unique together.

Despite life's twists, this one person seemed to have changed everything, a fact he once regretted. One clear pattern emerged – with Khushi, the focus shifted to him. Whether through her care amid their constant banter, her steadfast support during his moments of solitude, or her ensuring his safety in a kidnapping incident, she effortlessly took charge of what mattered most to him. Unintentionally, she assumed the role he had long held – caring for his family. What was she, after all? His wife for six months, a choice he had imposed on her.

She loved him with a depth that transcended the pain he had caused, offering trust that had been tested and broken but never completely destroyed. Her care was a constant light, shining even when the balance between them tipped unfairly. Through anger and sadness, her presence was unwavering.

No transformation into gentleness on his part could ever repay the love she freely gave, asking for nothing in return. His Khushi was kindness personified, selflessness woven into the very fabric of her being. She was grace under pressure, her heart a gift of pure love, offered to him without a moment's hesitation.