Part 18

"Marry me," declared the woman before him, as if issuing a command that turned his world upside down. His heart quickened its pace, and he gazed at her in sheer surprise, uncertain whether to feel elated or bewildered by this unexpected proposition.

"Come again?" he asked, as if seeking clarification for what he had heard earlier.

"Marry me, Arnav," she said with a smile, sitting as calm as a serene lake.

His expression wavered between disbelief and curiosity. "Khushi, are you serious?"

She nodded, her eyes unwavering. "Absolutely serious. I've thought about it, Arnav. I want us to get married."

A myriad of emotions danced across his face as he processed her words. The restaurant around them seemed to fade away as the weight of her proposal hung in the air.

"Is that a yes?" she asked, her eyes brightening with newfound excitement. From her bag, she pulled out a small velvet box, revealing a platinum band inside. "Should I go ahead and put it on, then?"

"What? No," he declared, staring at her incredulously

"Why?" she asked, appearing annoyed. "Are you planning to be in a live-in relationship with me now? Like Lavanya?" She groaned.

"I said no because, firstly, this doesn't sound like a proposal. It sounds like an order to me. Secondly, couldn't you have given me a heads up? I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that I just got proposed to by the woman I love the most," he said, visibly shaken, rolling his eyes at the unexpected turn of events.

"Fine," she clicked her lips calmly, settling into her seat with a composed posture. "Take your time," she replied coolly, her eyes casually wandering around the restaurant.

"What on earth is wrong with you? You're sitting as if you're signing a deal," he said, visibly annoyed by her calm posture.

"How many times are we going to do this?" She shrugged. "This is the third. I'm already bored, Arnav. I proposed to you for marriage, big deal," she replied, staring into his molten brown eyes with a smile.

"Yeah, big deal. I'm making it a big deal, apparently," he responded, looking away with a sense of disappointment.

Khushi sighed, "What do you want me to do, my love? I adore you, Arnav; you're my heart. Breathing without you seems impossible to me now. Will you please marry this old lady before she loses her mind? You've already partly emptied it."

There was no immediate response.

"Here's the deal," she continued. "No drama, no mehendi, no dancing—just us signing our marriage papers in court tomorrow—"