Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

Disclaimer: All recognizable characters belong to JKR. All situations are mine. No $$$ is being made from this fanfic.
*******************************

Chapter 2 ~ Making Plans

Ron was absolutely horrified on learning that Hermione not only had to marry Professor Snape but live with him down in the dungeons. Harry was not pleased either, though he did understand why the Headmaster had arranged the marriage.

“You, alone with Snape? He’s going to try to shag you Hermione, mark my words. He probably hasn’t been alone with a woman in years,” the red headed wizard said, frowning.

“Actually Ron, that’s not the case. According to the Headmaster, the Professor has not one but several women he sleeps with. He’s going to continue with them after we’re married, so I don’t have anything to worry about,” Hermione said.

Both Ron and Harry looked incredulous.

“He has girlfriends? Multiple women? That he actually fucks? Great Merlin’s nobblies. Who’d have thought it?” Ron said amazed at the revelation that the Potions Master was getting some regularly. “So that means he really is just snarky by nature.”

Hermione grinned. “Yes, it seems so,” she agreed.

“The good thing is I will have my own rooms down there, with my own private entrance, sitting room and kitchen. So you can come down and visit with me anytime you want without running into him,” Hermione said enthusiastically.

“Your own rooms? That doesn’t sound too bad at all,” Harry said, “Especially the private entrance. You might not have to see him at all.”

“No, only in class if I’m lucky,” she said, then she scowled a little.

“What’s wrong, Hermione?” Harry asked her.

“I need to increase my circle of friends. Male friends,” she said quietly. “I need to start dating.”

Ron and Harry looked at each other, then at Hermione.

“What do you mean, dating?” Ron asked, his brow wrinkled. “You’re about to get married and you’re thinking about dating? What gives, Hermione?”

“Well, you’re going to think this is stupid, but the Professor insinuated that I was a virgin…” she began.

“You are, aren’t you?” Harry asked her, wondering if she wasn’t, how he missed it.

“Of course I am,” Hermione said. Both Harry and Ron breathed a sigh of relief. They couldn’t imagine Hermione getting shagged by anyone. She was a good girl.

“But he made it sound like something bad,” she continued.

“But it’s not bad,” Harry said. “It’s good, Hermione. For a girl anyway.”

Hermione scowled at the double standard her two friends held, but didn’t comment on it.

“Well, he’s going to be having his women friends over, and I don’t want to seem like I’m not enjoying myself too,” she said.

“What? You want to make him jealous?” Harry asked, not understanding at all.

“No, I can’t make him jealous. He doesn’t even think about me in those terms, Harry. I just don’t want him thinking I’m such a goodie-two shoes. That I’m so innocent,” she said.

“But you are innocent, Hermione,” Ron said, “And that’s how we like you.”

“I just want him to think I am seeing other wizards,” she said stubbornly.

“But why Hermione? You said yourself it won’t make him jealous. What’s the purpose of it? It doesn’t make sense,” Harry said.

Hermione frowned at him.

“Does every fucking thing have to make sense?” she snarled. Harry looked taken aback. Hermione rarely cursed.

“Well, normally with you it does,” he replied

“Well, sometimes I can act stupid if I want to,” she said.

Ron looked at her.

“Yes, you can, I guess Hermione. But I’ve never known you to want to act stupid,” he said, shaking his head a little. He thought the upcoming wedding was getting to her.

“Well, you can pretend to be dating one of us. I’ll snog you right in front of the greasy git,” Ron offered. He really did have a thing for Hermione.

“No, that won’t fool him. I need some other wizards,” she said, looking over the male students in the common room thoughtfully. Hermione was quite pretty, and the truth was a number of wizards would love to date her, and more, but she always seemed so unreachable. All she seemed to care about was schoolwork and books.

Harry looked at her perusing the other wizards.

“It might be hard to get them after you get married Hermione. Almost everyone is afraid of Snape. No one will want to mess with his property,” Harry said, his green eyes meeting hers earnestly.

“I won’t be his property!” Hermione sniffed. “I belong to myself.”

Harry’s eyes shifted to her ring.

“That’s not what that ring says Hermione. That ring clearly says you are or will be the wife of Severus Snape, one of the meanest wizards in the wizarding world. You’ll be hard put to get someone to date you. They might be scared Snape will hex them, or worse if he found out,” Harry said.

“Not if I make it plain I’m available,” Hermione said, “that I’m in an ‘open’ relationship.”

Both Harry and Ron scowled at her.

“Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of being married, Hermione? You are marrying Snape to be protected,” Harry said.

“As long as I have his name, I will be protected, Harry. But this is a marriage in name only. He intends to live his life, and I’m going to live mine,” Hermione said firmly. She looked thoughtful.

“I need to see Ginny,” she said, “She knows how to attract wizards.”

“Oh no, Hermione…not Ginny,” Harry and Ron said together.

Ginny was Ron’s younger sister, and was very popular with the young wizards of Hogwarts, much to Ron’s chagrin. She knew how to turn it on, and although Ron tried his best to control her love life, he failed miserably. But his sister was nowhere near as promiscuous as Ron thought. She just attracted a lot of interest and dated a lot. She only put out now and then, and was quite choosy as to whom she shared herself with. Actually, the wizards she had been with never said a word, so Ginny’s dalliances were mostly conjecture. But she was still awfully hot.

“She could help me change my image a bit. Be a bit more ‘approachable’,” Hermione said, warming to the idea.

“She will turn you into a wizard magnet,” Harry said, shaking his head. He had witnessed the transformation of several rather ordinary looking witches into very hot ones under the care and tutelage of Ginny Weasley.

“I don’t know about this, Hermione,” Ron said, looking at her with longing eyes, “I still don’t see why I can’t pretend to be your boyfriend.”

Hermione looked at him.

“Because Ron,” she said softly, “You wouldn’t want to keep it pretend, and I just don’t feel that way about you. You’re my friend, and that’s all you’ll ever be. I’m sorry.”

Harry looked away from Ron. He could see the misery in the young wizard’s face.

“Fine,” Ron said, walking away quickly and ascending the stairs to the boy’s dormitory.

“He really cares about you, Hermione,” Harry said, looking after his friend.

Hermione sighed. “I know Harry. But we’re too different to be anything more than friends. Ron wants a woman like his mother. Who’ll stay at home and take care of him, and have lots of kids and be satisfied with that kind of life. You know that wouldn’t make me happy, Harry. I don’t even want kids. Ron would spend all his time trying to change me. We’d end up hating each other in the end. It’s better we never try.”

Harry looked at her. She was right. She was too brilliant to get tied down with Ron. She had great things to do with her life.

“You’re right, Hermione. Maybe Ron will understand one day,” he said.

“I hope so,” Hermione replied, looking at her engagement ring.

She was already going to be tied down in one loveless marriage for a while. But she was going to have some kind of life of her own while in it. Somehow, books and studies were fine when she was just plain Hermione Granger. Let’s face it…she was a young woman now, and there were other pursuits she needed to experience. Funny she had never really thought about it until Professor Snape made a reference to his own lovers. And how unhappy he was about having a virgin in his rooms.

She fully intended on staying a virgin. She wouldn’t actually fuck someone to spite him…there wasn’t anyone who moved her that way anyhow. But then again, who knew? Maybe one of the wizards she spent time with would move her that way. Only time would tell.

She stood up.

“Harry, I’m going to talk to Ginny and see what she suggests,” Hermione said firmly. Harry looked up at her doubtfully.

“All right, Hermione. You know what you want to do. I’ll be here if you need me,” he said. He didn’t like this at all. He thought it would backfire on her some way. Hell, she might end up attracting Snape. What a horror that would be.

Hermione smiled at Harry tenderly. He really was a sweetheart.

“Thanks Harry,” she said, walking off in search of Ginny.

Harry watched her go. First she had to marry Snape, then she wanted to become some kind of wizard magnet. He wondered if she were cracking under the pressure.

Hermione found Ginny walking toward Gryffindor Tower in the company of a rather good-looking Ravenclaw seventh year, tall, well built, black-haired with amazing blue eyes. His name was Austin. He seemed rather quiet. Ginny seemed to prefer the quiet ones.

After introducing him to Hermione, Ginny kissed Austin goodbye on the cheek, a slow lingering kiss that made his blue eyes heat up. He gave her a perfectly beautiful parting smile and left. Hermione looked after him.

“Wow, Ginny,” she breathed. “He’s gorgeous.”

“Yes, he is,” Ginny responded. “He’s on my ‘to shag’ list. He’s trustworthy. Wouldn’t tell a soul.”

“How do you know?” Hermione asked her curiously.

“You have to watch them a while. Look for the braggarts. They always tell. I have all brothers so I was up on this a long time ago, even before I was interested in wizards. Even Ron brags,” she said offhandedly.

“Ron?” Hermione said incredulously.

“Yeah. Ron’s no virgin, Hermione. He’s had a couple of witches here at Hogwarts. Harry, too,” Ginny said, blushing a little.

So, neither of her friends were virgins. Hermione didn’t know that. Well, they didn’t share everything with her, that’s for sure. She was surprised about Ron, but then again, he was on the Quidditch team, and really was a good-looking wizard. Tall, broad shouldered, nice smile and he could be fun. Yes, she supposed some witches would shag him. And obviously did.

Ginny’s blush when she mentioned Harry wasn’t a virgin told her all she needed to know about that. She guessed Ron didn’t know. Even though Harry was his best friend, she doubted if Ron could accept the fact he’d fucked his sister. More than likely Ginny was the aggressor in that situation. Harry wouldn’t have crossed that line unless sorely tempted. And if anyone knew how to tempt a wizard, it was Ginny Weasley. She could probably make an angel lose his wings.

“So what’s up, Hermione?” Ginny asked her. She and Hermione were friends, but they weren’t as close as Harry and Ron.

“I need your help, Ginny. I want to attract some wizards,” Hermione replied, blushing.

Ginny stopped and stared at her.

“Putting down the books and picking up wizards eh?” the sixth year grinned at her. Immediately Ginny started looking her over. “Well you have plenty to work with Hermione. I know for fact there are wizards interested in you.”

Then Ginny noticed the ring.

“What’s that?” she asked the witch, her brow furrowed, “It looks like an engagement ring.”

“It is,” Hermione said. “I am going to marry Professor Snape…because of the marriage law.”

Ginny looked at her.

“Wow. Professor Snape is hot, Hermione,” she said wistfully.

“What? He’s what?” Hermione asked, not believing what she just heard come out of Ginny’s mouth.

“He’s dead sexy, Hermione. Don’t tell me you haven’t noticed that. You’ve been in his class forever,” Ginny said, examining the ring.

“He’s a lot of things, but sexy isn’t one of them,” Hermione replied, looking at Ginny as if something were wrong with her. Professor Snape sexy? Blech.

“You keep your face in books too much, Hermione. He is one of the sexiest wizards around. He’s so commanding, dominating. His voice is like a caress…and those hands. Gods. And Merlin only knows what he hides under those robes. And those eyes. Circe, what would it be like to look into those black eyes when he’s…” Ginny breathed

“Enough!” Hermione cut her off, “Ginny, this is just a marriage of convenience. I won’t be fucking the Professor. He has other women for that,” she said. “I just want to have some kind of life of my own while I’m stuck down there in the dungeons.”

Ginny looked at her quizzically.

“He’s going to let you see other wizards while you’re married to him?” she asked.

“I don’t see why he wouldn’t. He has women he intends to see. I don’t want to seem like I don’t have a life too,” Hermione said.

Ginny raised her eyebrows.

“So, you’re going to try and make him jealous?” she asked the witch, her head cocked.

“No! Why does everyone keep asking me that? I’m doing this for me,” Hermione said, clearly irritated. “He doesn’t even want me in his rooms. But since I’m going to be there, I intend to make full use of them and have some fun.”

“Fun and Professor Snape don’t seem to belong in the same sentence, Hermione,” Ginny said with a small smirk. “But, if you want to attract wizards, then I’ll help you do it. You’ll have to be a little friendlier though. You’re already pretty. A change in wardrobe will make them flock to you, but your attitude is what will snag them,” she said.

Hermione looked thoughtful.

“Ginny, I’m marrying the Professor this Saturday. I would like to look less like a student and more like a young woman at the wedding. Will you help me with that? I have quite a few galleons saved up. I can afford new clothes, and a nice dress,” Hermione said, holding her breath.

Ginny thought about it.

“Well, I was going to go out with Austin this Friday night, but I can put it off. It’ll keep him hungry,” she said with a wicked grin. “Yes, we can go to Hogsmeade Friday evening and go shopping. Pick out your wedding dress. You don’t want anything traditional do you?” Ginny asked.

“No, I want something that makes me look grown up, attractive…desirable,” Hermione responded, her eyes glazing a bit.

“All right, it’s a date,” Ginny said, smiling at the witch. But in the back of her mind, Ginny wondered if this really was for Hermione or if the witch had some subconscious desire to make the Professor look at her differently?

Because if Ginny had it her way, he would. He wouldn’t be able to help himself.