The Myth

☾☀︎

Dear Diary,

Have you ever wanted to dream someone into existence?

I'm talking about actually dreaming someone into existence. That's the best way I can describe it. The perfect girl that you always wanted. I know most of us spend some of our time daydreaming about someone that we cannot have, or someone that just isn't real.

But what would you do, if the person you 'dreamt into existence' became real?

In Greek mythology, it tells a tale about Pygmalion; he was Cypriot sculptor who fell in love with one of his statues that he carved out of ivory. The myth said that the statute was so beautiful that he had fallen in love with it.

One day, it was Aphrodite's festival. Pygmalion made offerings at the altar of Aphrodite. He wished for a bride who would be "the living likeness of my ivory girl." When he had returned home, he kissed the lips of his ivory statue, and found that it had felt warm. So he kissed it again, and found that the ivory had lost its statue-like feeling.

Aphrodite had granted Pygmalion his wish.

I'm not even kidding, this shit sounded crazy when I had first read about it in my Greek Mythology class. How can something you created out of ivory, turn into...become a real, living, breathing person?

But I swear upon Aphrodite, herself, when I met her, I knew that she was trouble. She was weird, but she was also goofy. She made me do a lot of things I couldn't see myself doing. She brought out the best in me.

I loved her against reason...I still love her. From the moment that I met her, I knew that she was worth it.

I can't seem to grasp my head around her, around how I met her, but I believe that it was magic? Fate?

Either of the two is a possibility.

My life took a turn for the better, that autumn day. As the autumn breeze carried fine drops, each one a promise of a better tomorrow, of hope that something extraordinary was going to happen to me. And the next thing I knew, I was being drawn into a creepy looking antique shop. I won't say it wasn't the type of place I would venture into, because it was. An elderly woman coerced me into taking a diary and said it'll make 'all my wishes come true.' She claimed that Aphrodite had 'chosen' me.

I didn't believe it at first, I wrote silly little things into it that in a sense happened, but I paid no mind to it. However, as a literature student, my solace was in writing.

Then I wrote and wrote until my hands grew tired. I had my heart broken recently before I met Camila, so I wrote about someone I wanted to cherish my heart. I wrote about this ideal girl that I wanted...maybe even needed.

I went from bumping into her, into the girl I 'dreamt into existence' on more than one occasion. You're probably wondering, how I knew it was her? From the way I described her in my journal, that striking resemblance? It was way too uncanny. The similar beautiful brown hair, the piercing grey eyes...and that smile. That damned smile that could brighten up my day.

If you had asked me if I had believed in magic a couple months ago, I probably would've laughed in your face, but there can only be one explanation for Camila Cabello, and let me tell you...it was magic.

I know that Camila Cabello is my soulmate. I don't think it was a coincidence. I mean, it's hard to believe in coincidence, but it's even harder to believe in anything else.

I think that we were fated to meet one another.

Do you think that the universe fights for two souls to be together? It doesn't matter how, but do you think the universe fights for you?

Everything that happens in your life is as a result of a calculated move that lead us to where we are. So maybe, I did something right during my life. I can't pinpoint exactly when. Maybe, it was when I had helped Mrs Fernandez to cross the street when I was only six years old. Or it was that one day, when the lesser fortunate girl in my class didn't have anything to eat, and for a whole year straight, I made my mom pack an extra lunch for her. We became the best of friends since then; her name was Alexandria Comandeur. I loved this girl like a sister. She was the next best thing in my life besides Camila.

So, I don't know what I did right in my life, that could've possibly led me to Camila, but whatever it was, I am eternally grateful.

I think that in each and every universe, you are fated to meet someone. And I know that in an alternate universe, I am with her. I am happy, and she is too, together. And it's comforting enough to know that somewhere out there, we are together as well. Because, I cannot simply fathom a life without Camila.

Anyone can put words to paper, but only a true master can bring those words to life. Every bit of my soul, of my desires, every experience of my life, I pour it into my writing.

She was one of my desires.

From the way her beautiful light grey eyes look into mine, to the way her fingernails dig into my skin when we're making love, I cannot get enough of her.

Her body is a canvas for me to create a masterpiece with my tongue. As I trail my lips over every inch of her skin, breathing in her scent, feeling her warmth against my body, I know that she's real.

Pygmalion prayed to Aphrodite for his ivory woman, and I prayed to the heavens for someone like Camila.

I mean, you may think I'm crazy for believing that I could simply create someone into existence, but...if you stick around, maybe you'll end up believing in magic too.

Love, Lauren.

☾☀︎