Part Two: Coincidences

Coincidence /kəʊˈɪnsɪd(ə)ns/
(noun)
- A remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.

☾☀︎

Have you ever heard of hitsuzen?

It's a naturally foreordained event. A state in which no other outcome can simply be possible. It's where only one result can be obtained by a causality, and all other casualties will result in another result.

So, let me give you the simplest example I can come up with. Say, you have a big exam but you didn't study, the only possible outcome is that you fail. It's as simple as that. That's not a coincidence, it's just hitsuzen.

What I didn't know that when I took Aphrodite's journal out of that crazed woman's hands, my life would've become a series of coincidences. I didn't want to believe everything was happening for a reason.

☾☀︎

"Lex?" My best friend opened her eyes. She was laying on my lap, as we sat outside studying for a pop quiz. Yes, you heard me correct. A pop quiz during the first two weeks of school. We barely did anything to even be quizzed on, but you know how professors are.

"Mhm?"

I sighed. "Do you believe in coincidences?"

She sat upright and turned to look at me, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean coincidences?"

"I mean, like say on your birthday, you wish for something and it happened." Ever since I saw that slice of pizza in my room, especially after I wished for it in Aphrodite's journal, I couldn't wrap my head around it.

It was just a coincidence, right?

Lexa shrugged. "I mean, I guess that's kinda weird. It could be a coincidence but it could also be some sort of terrestrial being that has answered your wish."

A deity?

If there is a deity, a creator of all things, then it's responsible for cancer, depression, mass murders, rapes, mass killings of innocent lives in earthquakes, flooding and so much more destruction. That was just a few of the evils present in the world today.

I'm assuming, this deity is responsible for the human traits/behaviours of greed, hatred, malice and every single source of cruelty, that humans inflict upon each other.

Hm.

"Why do you keep asking these types of questions?" Lexa looked at me in confusion.

I had in fact been bombarding her with very peculiar questions, but I needed to stop.

There was a logical explanation for what happened...but I just didn't figure it out as yet.

I shrugged. "No reason. I guess I was just doing some readings on Aphrodite and it just intrigued me, is all."

"Righttt," Lexa dragged out. "Anyway, I should probably be heading to class. I'll see you tomorrow?"

I nodded. We exchanged a quick hug and went our separate ways. I had to do some research for a paper, and since I had no class this afternoon, I planned on spending the rest of my day in the library. Which I strongly regretted the moment I set foot in the room, because there she was sitting at a table, surrounded by books.