Part Four: Identity

Identity /ʌɪˈdɛntɪti/
(noun)
- The fact of being who or what a person or thing is.

***

Journal Entry #3

Dear Diary,
A couple days ago, I heard the strangest thing being whispered into my ear. 'To állo misó' which basically means 'the other half' and ever since then, I can't help but think about it. I know a lot of strange things have been happening to me ever since I got this journal, but why was any of this really happening?

Yesterday was my first day working as a bartender, I can't say that I hated the job, because I actually liked it. I saw Elena with her dad there. She smiled at me and we actually spoke a lot longer than we had in months. I was shocked to say the least.

But then, there was Eliana, Maggie's sister. I had learnt from one of my coworkers that her name was Camila. I've haven't seen her as yet, and every time Maggie tried to introduce us, she was literally always busy. But somehow, I felt drawn to her. Every time I would catch a glimpse of her, something within me would make me want to get closer to her. It was an unexplainable feeling but it would disappear as soon as Camila would leave my vision. I yearned to see what this woman had looked like and if she was as remotely beautiful as Maggie, I don't know what I would've done.

I closed the book, promising that I would finish my journal entry another time, just as my roommate Renee popped into my bedroom. We had been talking a bit more than usual and I took a liking to her. I learnt that she and Elena were pretty close friends, so she knew about our history but she never brought it up.

Thankfully.

"Hey," Renee smiled. "I just got back from class and I bought some Chinese takeout. Want some?"

I shrugged. It was approaching the time I had to leave for my shift, and though I could've gotten food at work, who was I to pass up even more free food?

"Sure. Thanks, but I'll grab food for us the next time."

We sat in the kitchen and passed around some boxes of food and exchanged some pleasant small talk, until Renee decided to bring up the journal. I assumed she had forgotten about it because she never asked about it again.

"I saw the girl with the journal similar to yours today," Renee said as she shoved some noodles into her mouth. "I actually spoke to her and she this really cool Greek accent."

I kinked an eyebrow. "Greek?"

What a coincidence it was for someone from Greece; also known as the home of mythology, to possess such a journal. I would think that if the person was told the same thing I was by the crazy woman I met in the antique shop, she might've believed in it quicker than I did. I'm also not saying that I happen to believe that this was in fact 'Aphrodite's Journal' but if something else were to have happened, I would've been sold.

"Oh yeah. She's insanely beautiful too, man," Renee informed me again. Seeming to have forgotten that she had told me about the woman's looks already. "Wait, I told you that already?" She laughed to herself. The more I got to know Renee, the more I realised that she was...simply put a weirdo, but the good type of weirdo. "Hey, by the way...I know we don't talk about this stuff but I was just with Elena and she asked about you. I know you two ended a while ago, but I think she misses you."

She misses me?

I literally...well almost audibly scoffed at the thought. She never really ignored my presence, but when she acknowledged me, I feel like she did it just out of the need to be polite.