35: Tetris in the Studio

Rhys

"This is us."

Alec slides a glass door open, giving me a clear view of their spacious recording studio. It's homier than I expected. The walls are painted acid gray and are decorated with black and white framed photos from their shows. Track lights from every corner brightly illuminate the room, while the floor is fully covered with black carpet. There's a soundboard placed on the side, while speakers and instruments can be literally found everywhere.

There is also another room separated by a glass wall which is almost empty aside from a microphone, music sheet stand and the same guitar he had in his hotel room that night. I smile at the memory which Alec quickly notices. "Care to share."

I chuckle and shake my head. "That night just... flashes inside my head. You were about to hit me with that," I explain, pointing at the guitar.

It's his turn to chuckle, his hand coming up to scratch the back of his neck. I notice he does that when he's uncomfortable or nervous. "Let's say I've been in that same situation a lot of times."

"Someone breaking in?"

He nods somberly. "It wasn't always pleasant." Images of possible encounters with women breaking in flash through my head. Alec suddenly pokes the tip of my nose when I didn't say anything. "Let it go before your imagination leads us to Grim Land."

I scoff as I walk further into the room, also not wanting to push the subject. I study the soundboard instead and frown at the hundred buttons that meet my eyes. "Are you recording today?"

"I was hoping to do some songwriting before the guys come in later."

He drops on a lounge chair before he pulls me into his lap, his hand reaching up to caress my red locks. I revel in the feeling, melting into him like a satisfied feline. "Your hair is growing, but your bangs are still half an inch above your eyebrow." I raise my brow at him. He only gives me a cheeky grin. "I remembered this time."

"I cut them regularly. I like it this way. Gives me an edge."

"It does. You look like you won't hesitate to end me if I said the wrong words."

I roll my eyes. "Now you're just being sarcastic."

"Am not."

"Am too."

"Am not."

"Am-"

He places an index finger over my lips. "Shh. We're not children," he says, as if only reminding us both.

I laugh. "Oh, what gives?"

"Your tits."

I halt, my eyes wide, my lips twisting at his smug face. But deep inside, I can feel these two measly words doing something down there in my core. He's thrown it between us as if it's something we talk about often. His voice rolling over me like honey on silk. He waits for my response, smoky gray eyes eyeing said tits, before jumping back to my lips then to my still-wide eyes. "I can't believe you just said that."

"I was just remembering what I saw, Red."

I bite my lower lip, knowing full well what he's talking about. In that moment, even through my foggy brain, the tension between us was so palpable that I almost pulled him to me. Unfortunately, the fretful gene that run through the family's blood for generations won over gods of perverted decisions.

Alec squeezes my arm, grabbing my attention back to the present. "Don't remember now. We don't want you to get a stiffy when your guys come here. Especially when we can't do anything to remedy it."