36: Tetris in the Headlines

Rhys

The guys enter the living room one by one just as Alec and I are setting up the drinks.

Apparently, they are going to have a chill-out session I'm only beginning to learn about. Alec briefly explained it to me while we were preparing some snacks. They were having a little problem with composing a beat for this particular song they are currently making. And he said and I quote, "If we can't come up with it serious, then we'll come up with it drunk." So here we go, having a momentous recording session in the living room. Yay.

If you told me six years ago that I'll be in this counter, preparing drinks and about to witness Eunoia doing their magic, I'd have cursed at you. That's how I resented them back then. No reservations.

I come eye to eye with Cyprus as he plops lazily on the sofa. There is an expression on his face I can't identify before he gives me a condescending smirk. I quickly look away. Irritation simmers in my gut, my hands forming in tight fists in front of me.

The last encounter I had with Cyprus was three days ago and even then, I had already caught up with what he really wanted from me. And it's not to test me, or tease me about the prospect that I'm here to fuck one of the band members. He wants it to be him I'd fuck. That message had been loud and clear the moment he began standing closer than what's comfortable to me.

Call it female instinct, gut feeling or whatever, but you'd know. You'd just know if the guy was just fooling around or really wanted it. You'll see it in his eyes, his stance, the way he talks to you, the way you can feel his presence without seeing him. And right now, I feel those pesky eyes washing over me like an itch.

A shoulder nudges me and I look up to see Alec staring at me warily. "You gonna be okay?" he asks softly.

I bite my lip, considering it. Aside from Cyprus giving me a hard time, I truly want to witness them making music. How they come up with a tune, how they hold their instruments, and experience their musical prowess. It isn't a hard decision to make. Shaking my head, I give him a faint smile. "Yes, I'm staying."

Alec nods. "I talked to him before we went to the beach. He promised he'd stay away from you."

"Promised, huh?" I place the drinks on a tray, busying my slightly shaky hands. Cold sweat runs down my back. "Let's hope he'll hold up to it. I don't know if I'm in the right mind to deal with him."

I snap my mouth shut after that, my face morphing into a fierce scowl. I didn't intend to admit that. But if there's anything that has noticeably change between Alec and I is our openness to each other. I often find myself telling him my deepest fears, even the uncomfortable ones to say. I haven't come to terms with it, hence the scowl. But Alec, he never judges, never makes me feel any less than... he's just there.

It's comforting, freeing but sometimes I feel too bare that all I want is to crawl away from him.

Like right now. He's looking at me with his smoky gray eyes, worry lining his face. I don't know what to do with someone worrying me. I never had that for a long time. Rosie, she worries for me, but our relationship is familiar and convenient. What I have with Alec is more intimate, an unfamiliar ground.

"He'll make do of his promise, Red. I'll make sure of it."

I nod my head, not looking at him.  "Okay."

Tetris in RedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara