44: Tetris in the Stage

Rhys

It feels like a deja vu as I walk through backstage, while so many people rush from one direction to another.

Asia excused himself once I met him from the barrier, claiming that he needed to get something in the car. I told him that it was okay since I needed a few minutes alone. To my surprise, he gave me a backstage pass before he left, so I could roam around without interruption.

Asia is doing the gods' work and I couldn't be more thankful.

I open a double door with a 'Production Staff Only' sign. My heart leaps when I hear Alec begin to sing. His deep, baritone voice flows through me like a beacon. My feet start to move in the direction of a dark hallway, his voice effectively drawing me in. Turning a corner, I immediately spot Holland talking to a guy with a headphone.

I walk toward him without thinking. The ground vibrating beneath my feet matches the swift thunderous beating inside my rib cage. There's a television set up on the wall, showing a sweaty Alec singing into the microphone. His eyes are closed as he savors his words, both of his hands holding the mic tightly as if he's afraid it will be taken away. The strands of his brown hair are sticking in every direction. His tattooed biceps flex as he leans down a bit to belt out a high note.

I stand motionless as I listen to him, my palm rubbing the spot where it aches in the days that he occupied my mind. Touching my cheek subconsciously, I find the skin wet with tears. It was just so long. It's been so terribly long...

Holland meets my eyes when I turn back to him, my name leaving his lips in a shocked whisper. "What are you doing here?"

His question isn't one of displeasure. It's genuine curiosity, obvious that he never expected me at all. I remove my sunglasses and mask. "I want to talk to Alec."

He nods, a worried frown still on his face. "They have a five-minute break after this set. You can talk to him, then."

I tilt my head, slightly aghast by this version of Holland. Undemanding. Worried. Sounds like a human. He raises a brow, prompting a chuckle out of me. "Well, you're just different. You sound... nice."

He stops for a moment, before shaking his head. "I doubt you'd think the same later."

I feel my face morphing in confusion. My mouth opens to ask him what he means by that when a sudden stir comes from the stage. Dancers in costumes walk down the short staircase, before Morris and Peyton enter my line of sight. They give me a soft smile.

Toro then comes next, his face lighting up when he sees me. He surprises me when he runs toward me for a bear hug. "Hello, you!"

I let out a laugh and pat his back. "Good to see you, too."

He releases me, a megawatt smile set upon his face. "You're looking good, darling."

I laugh and mutter a shy thanks.

I realized that everyone went silent then. I look around and notice that they are all watching the exchange. My frown deepens. I feel Toro silently nudging me on my shoulder and gesturing to the stairs. The last ones to exit are Alec and Cyprus.

Cyprus nods at me in acknowledgment before looking away. I send one back even though he won't see it, before shifting my full attention back to Alec.

My feet move before I can't comprehend what's happening. I launch myself on his sweaty body and wrap him in a tight, tight hug. He burrows his nose in my hair while carrying me to god knows where. I refuse to lift my head then, not yet ready to let him go. He feels so warm, so like my man, so like a home. I never thought it was possible to miss a person this much.