14

Tyler Sanders

I left my Antonio's house and decided to see if Aubrey was home. I haven't seen her in a few days, almost a week. She seemed really upset that day I gave her a ride and I know she doesn't like her parents.

Mr. Cartwright got a bit angry when I was talking about her, probably had to do something with his lost daughter. The whole family seems really torn up about Valentina and I just hope the girl is all right. The only time I ever saw Antonio cry was the same dates each year: July 21st and October 18th. Valentina's birthday and the day she went missing.

Antonio has been my best friend since he moved here the start of our Freshman year. We have played on the same football and track team since we were fourteen. His birthday just passed and we went to the lake house and threw a huge party. Our whole friend group, including Isabella's, try to keep the twins from sulking on their birthday, especially since their birthday was a few days short of their missing sister.

.

Finally I reached Aubrey's house. The car weren't in the driveway and the door was wide open. It made me panic, hopefully she was okay.

Before I make it to the front door I get a text message.

Antonio: What's Aubrey's address? I'm thinking about going over.

Why would he want to come over if he wanted nothing to do with someone who is so "troublesome," as he so nicely puts it.

Me: Fine. It's 32 Orchid Drive. I'll be there.

I slip my phone back in my pocket and walk inside. There are things thrown all around the front entrance. I walk to the kitchen and see water poured around the counter and floor. Next to it is blood and a knife.

What the f*ck happened here?

I continue to walk around and see an opening to the basement. I walk down the freaky stairs and I'm invited to cold. I here the front door open and I get startled before I hear the familiar voice of Antonio.

"Tyler! Where are you?"

"I'm down here!" I yell back.

I make it to the bottom of the floor and see something very unexpected. There are a pile of sheets on the floor, a bag full of clothes, Aubrey's school bag, and a few art notebooks.

"What are you doing do-" Antonio stops speaking when he sees the room.

"What the hell?" He states in shock.

"T-This is Aubrey's room."

"This isn't a f*cking room! It's a dirty basement! Don't lie about my sister you
dipsh!t!" He yells at me.

"Y-your sister?"

"Aubrey is our Valentina. And my dad sent me to make sure if she was here or not," he says as his eyes start to tear up.

I walk over to the art notebook and flip through the pages.

They were all so beautiful  yet so depressing at the same time

They were all so beautiful yet so depressing at the same time.

Over my shoulder was Antonio, with tears slipping out his eyes.

"Can I have it?" he asks.

I don't hesitate and give the notebooks to him. Aubrey was his sister... wait so Aubrey is Valentina? That's gonna be difficult to wrap around my mind.

"I'll tell you everything. I just need some time," Antonio says.

"Ya. That's fine man. I hope your dad can find her."

"We aren't Romano's for nothing Tyler. And please call me Lorenzo. I hate using my middle name," he says.

"The f*ck do you mean? Lorenzo?"

"Yes, my American friend," he responds in Italian.

"Okay Lorenzo," I say, testing out the new name. So Italian.

"I didn't  know she slept down here every night. One time I even brought her up to the bedroom upstairs. This all so weird."

"I don't even know what to say. I'm going to go, The Petrov's took her somewhere and my dad is working on getting her back. We'll talk later Tyler," says my best friend, his eyes slightly red from his tears.

"Okay Anto- I mean Lorenzo."

I hope you are okay Aub, or should I call you Val?