o n e

One
__________

Tears

May 10, 1934Amelia

May 10, 1934
Amelia

Time had revolved without me.

As a beating heart within my chest lied scattered into a million pieces on the floor below. I hadn't noticed the two hours that have passed since I watched my older brother storm out the front door. Rafe's face of frustration boiling to it's breaking point, he glared once more at me before walking out and into the blackened night outside.

It wasn't usual for Rafe and I too fight. Not since we were little, and certainly not after our Father passed away last year.

We were all that one another had left and we strived to avoid controversially led discussions that could potentially lead to remorseful words that sorry couldn't fix. But as my brother slowly walked towards me this afternoon, his eyes piercing towards the ground below like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders... We broke that rule today.

I was all too aware that the news he was struggling to hold would ultimately rattle the life we had known. A tall tale fact that not even years of preparations could have built me strong enough for.

Yet here I am, sitting on the last step of the staircase within our family's farmhouse, trying to find some self control and end the blubbering mess I had become. Smacked in the face with the inevitable  finally catching us. The day I had spent so long fearing is now here.

Sniffling through the sorrow and heartache. I used the fabric of my simply made floral dress, as a makeshift handkerchief to wipe away the sadness that flooded my eyes.

A soft knock to the front door triggered me back into the haze of reality that seem to lay thick in this much too quiet house. I quickly repinned a fallen strand of my blond hair back into the bun it had escaped from. The hope of looking nice being far gone. Standing up to readjust the skirt of my dress before walking the few steps to open the door and greet whoever stood behind it.

Though, my breaking heart that still suffered from an irregular pace, knew just who it could be.

Standing tall behind the screened door, his kind brown eyes saddened the second our faces became separated by the thin frame before us.

"Milly... You've been crying..." Danny said, stating the much to obvious truth.

I nod before looking up as I rolled my eyes and tried to slap on a forceful smile. Leaning a shoulder against the edge of the doorway I stood within. Doing my best to not crumble all around.

"I'm fine, Danny." I whisper with a shake in the pitch. "Come inside and I'll make us some tea."

I done all possible measure to avoid all eye contact with him. Though I could feel the burning of his stare.