f o u r

Four
___________

In A Blink

U.S Navy Base Long Is
land New York Medical Examinations

January 30, 1941
Danny

It was finally the day.

The day that I have waited years for, and as my childhood dream stood within arms reach...

"Awh, God. Their gonna' take my wings, Danny. I just know it..."

Rafe's crumbling composure made it hard to even think much of my own nerves, much less finding a spare moment to take in this moment.

Putting a firm grip onto his shoulder. I managed to turn my best friend around and continue on to the next station.

Wishing the approval kiosk lined with Doctors, had not been along the way.

"No you won't. Stop worrying, alright." I calmly reassure him, he blinks away the overflow of his worries. I couldn't help but to still see Rafe sweating as his future lies within the hands of some nurse up ahead.

Nodding at the friend I've grown up with, "just keep practicing the bottom line."

Rafe looked down at the palm of his hand examining the tiny cheat sheet I had wrote out for him this morning.

"J-L-M-K-P-O.." He repeatedly muttered lowly to himself.

Sitting behind a desk just up ahead, a raven haired nurse sat inspecting hopeful pilots to be files. She was pretty to say the least, though she was no....

I close my eyes and try to get her memory out of my head. If only for the remainder of this checkpoint.

"Next!" The nurse calls out. Her eyes still focused on the work before her.

Rafe takes a step forward. Taking in a breath, "J-L-M-K-P-O... Eyes like and eagle m'am." He blurts out all too quickly, catching the nurse by surprise.

She glances up at Rafe, bats her eyes as she tries to hide a blush behind her hand as she swipes a strand of her hair behind an ear.

"Slow down, flyboy." The nurse demands.

"And, instead of the bottom, read the very top. Both eyes." Looking back to Rafe. She crosses her arms over the surface and waits for him to proceed.