e l e v e n

Certainty _____________{{Pt

Certainty
_____________
{{Pt.Three}}
Hula Bar
10:37pm
Amelia

The Hula Bar is thriving loudly all around our table.

Sailors and nurses paired off in some lovesick haze. their poor lungs inhaling the unknown, intoxicating fumes, that the night keeps breathing out. It's gruesome poison prevents them from seeing what a joke their own hearts are playing against them.

What fools.

The sight alone forces me to draw in a numbing puff from an cheap cigar hanging out of my mouth, and resting before my fingers. I roll my eyes at the idiotic affairs all around. Doing all I can to ignore their laughter and flirtatious remarks to one another.

Praise the Father above.

It's a good thing I'm holding a good dealt hand within my grip. Otherwise, that burning stare from those make the world stop spinning, brown specs of Danny Walker across this busy poker playing table. Just' could of swooned me in being such a fool, myself.

Quite possibly the biggest one here tonight.

But a McCawley never backs down from a bet.

Especially not with stakes this high.

Twenty five dollars lies in the middle of this four way stand-off.

A lieutenant navy nurse. A lieutenant navy pilot, three of his flyboy pals. The odds were against me... though this rather sweet taste of a challenge is fueling my craving of a victory to run deep.

Sure this was a fun game. Or so, that is what Danny's fellow friends believed. Although,Walker knew better as he had lost many games before against the one and only, Amelia McCawley. He holds his ground and continues to play, even with knowing his own fate.

As the tension grew thicker than a gallon size bucket of lard, a voice emerges from the silence of my group of girlfriends. Rattling the game, and possibly even my entire world.

"Why Amelia, you never told us you knew the tricks behind poker." Evelyn pridefully states. There's a clever bat from her innocent eyes. In that blink— I could of swore I saw the ingredients of some recipe Evelyn's mind had created during a dash of her boredom. Poker apparently wasn't my fellow nurses game of choice.

I was baffled by the raven haired beauty. Caught off guard, to say the least. Im doing my best to keep a stern face that the whiskey has so far, done it's job. Yet as her question grew within the air...memories from Tennessee flashed to reality.

A time where worries never mattered. Minutes and seconds stood still as our days of living seemed to drag by. Back then we didn't care, our child hearts beating wildly within our chests. Those late night we stayed up past curfew, leading the old tricks and secrets behind our daddies gamblin' game— they all come vividly  to life in my head.