f i v e

Five
___________

Secrets

Long Island, New YorkU

U.S Naval Housing for Nurses
February 22, 1941

Amelia

"...and it has been the most romantic four weeks and two day's of my whole entire life.." Evelyn's delicate voice hums to an end as her lovestruck tale fades into the air of our crowded bedroom.

With our orders to relocate delicately tucked into the pockets of our luggage that rested patiently on the opposite side of the rather small room. All of us nurses were preparing for a celebratory night out on the city before our soon departures.

"Oh Evelyn, what a beautiful story.." Sandra gawks from her position on the floor of our bedroom. Her eyes fluttered with desire and a hunger for love, swooning at my best friend and her romantic story.

I rolled my eyes and tried to focus on curling a strand of my hair. The sounds of their daydreaming bringing all the contents of my stomach to a heavy boil within.

Oh if only they knew just how terrible falling in love really was.

It is quite fair to admit, I have come to terms that the fairy tale feeling that lures two poor souls into a eternal plunge of pain and abrupt brick walls wasn't worth the time of day. But when it involves my friend falling for the fool I call my brother, and the fact he went above all other dumb things he's ever done to woe her. I truly hoped their outcome would be far better than that of my own. Especially since Rafe had somehow managed to snatch the heart right out of Evelyn's chest.

An lately, that meant all of our nursing friends have been falling head over heels in love with the way the raven haired nurse told her story of finding her airheaded Romeo.

Alright, I will confess...maybe I am not being fair. I mean, I'm happy Rafe has found someone who has put his confidence to the ultimate test, and it has been rather humorous to witness the way Evelyn could twist her words just perfectly enough to make my brothers knees shake from fear.

A sight I never thought I'd ever see.

The fearless boy I have spent my entire life watching grow up into this brave pilot... All to become a clumsy mess before the beauty of the one and only, Evelyn Johnson.

A miracle in the flesh-- yet all I can do every time her red stained lips starts to boast about how she met Rafe..is all but try to avoid hearing the story from being told.