Chapter 16: The Tattoo

“Calum! Where are you taking me?”

“You’ll see!” he grinned widely as he pulled me across the street, running.

Oh my God.

This is not how I imagined our first evening in New York.

I imagined it with a cup of steaming hot coffee and a good book or some time to relax and continue with my writing.

NOT running across the crowded streets of New York. Even if I’m holding hands with Calum, that doesn’t fix the sweat that’s clinging to my back, okay? This is why I hate summers.

“Cal, just tell me where we’re going! And stop running!” I pleaded.

But he ignored me and kept at it.

We got a few stares from people but that didn’t seem to stop him.

Then finally, we paused in front of a shop.

There was a huge neon sign by the window that said “TATTOOS”.

“Oh my God. You’re getting another one?”

He just nodded and grinned at me.

Okay. This is getting suspicious.

“Come on.” Calum opened the door.

Inside the shop was what you normally expect in a tattoo shop. There were designs all over the walls and a couple of people with really cool tattoos on their arms and neck.

A woman greeted us and hugged Calum.

“You’re late!” she told Calum.

“I know. We’ve been running.” He explained.

“Whatever. Come on, then. We’re ready for you.”

“Oh Jen. This is Robbie. She’s one of my best friends and if you don’t mind, she’ll have one, too.”

“Oh sure! Of course, of course!””

What?

When Jen went to the front desk to take care of something first, I took the chance to punch Calum’s arm.

His arms might be toned but I can punch like The Rock.

“Ow!” he yelled  as he rubbed his upper arm. “I guess I deserve that. Look, Robbie, it’s not what you think.”

“What I’m thinking right now involves a machete and a pair of pliers!” I hissed at him.

“Whoa. Okay. Uhmm….I get it. You’re pissed.”

“You think?”

“It’s just a tattoo, Robbie.”

“It’s PERMANENT.” I reasoned. “You should’ve told me about it at least.”

“Okay. You’re right. I’m sorry. You don’t have to get one.”

“Thank you.” I calmed down.

“It was on your list, Robbie.” Calum pointed out.

“What list?”

“Your bucket list. Number 1: Get a tattoo. “ he said as he took out his phone and showed me a picture of my bucket list.

And he was right. It was there. The first one.

“I was just trying to…..you know…..surprise you.” Calum stammered as he rubbed the back of his head.

Oh baby.

He remembered.

Then suddenly, I laughed.