Chapter 11

Beep. Clatter of something dropping. Low humming of people talking. Curtain being drawn.

As I tried to piece together these sounds I struggled to open my eyes.

" She's coming back," I heard an unfamiliar male voice say.

I started to panicked, still not able to open my eyes. I tried moving my body but felt a sharp pain in my side and down there. I cried out and felt hands trying to push me down.

" Help! Help! Help me!" I screamed.

" Its OK. You're safe. Open your eyes. Yes. There you go. Now we are going to give you more morphine so you're going to start feeling a bit numb OK. Everything is OK."

I opened my eyes then closed them, shocked by the light. My body started to relax and I opened my eyes again, slowly taking in everything.

Four nurses were in the room. Three females, one male. The guy was holding down my arms but let them go slowly when I looked at him. Two nurses were messing with the machine that was hooked up to my arm while the other was rubbing my forehead.

" Where's my mom? Dad?"

" They're in the waiting room. Two other people as well. But first we need to clean you up before they see you," her eyes quickly looking down then back up to my face.

I looked down and saw I was wearing a hospital gown and a cast on my left foot. There was a big red spot right around down there.

" Am- Did I just come on my period?" I asked, confused.

She told the other nurses to leave and to tell the news that I was awake to my family and guests.

" Honey. Do you remember anything?"

" Last thing I remember is walking home from the café. And-and that's it. How'd I get here? What happened?"

She didn't look me in the eye as she put on gloves and grabbed a couple things.

" I'm going to lift up your night gown and clean up ok?" she said gently.

I nodded slowly.

As she lifted up my night gown she began talking slowly.

" You were walking home when a guy grabbed you and dragged you into an alley. He beat you and put you to sleep before-before sexually assaulting you. He didn't rape you but used... an item to stick in you. You understand?"

I nodded and felt tears spring to my eyes.

" I'm starting to remember. Do you have him?"

She took off my night gown thing and I felt exposed, realizing I had on no undergarments. I quickly looked away, disgusted by all the bruises She quickly put on another fresh one one me.

" Kyle Blake. He's locked up again. And don't move much."

She gave a small weak smile and pat my leg before leaving.

A second later my mom and dad, Austin, and Bri came rushing in. They stopped and I took in their appearance. My mom had bloodshot eyes and were slightly swollen as if she hasn't slept in days and cried non stop. my dad, who was usually well kept, had his hair ruffled and a crinkled T-shirt on. Bri looked a mess. Her hair carelessly pulled into a ponytail and wearing sweat and a baggy tee. Her eyes looked just like my moms. And Austin. I could remember the last conversation we had. My heart beat started beating rapidly and my monitor showed it. I looked away, embarrassed. From my quick glance at him he looked a mess as well. My mom was the first person to approach me.