Chapter 13

" You don't have to do this."

My parents had already walked inside and Bri could went with them, insisting Austin and I be alone for a second.

" No. I do."

" I mean we can just have Bri or your parents identify them."

We both knew that wasn't an option.

" Let's just get this over with."

Since I was on crutches now, which I was thankful for, I made my way up to the door and Austin held it open. The same two cops were talking to my parents and Bri was taking in her surroundings. When I walked in they all turned to me.

" Are you ready?" the officer that told me about his daughter said.

I like him. He seems nice. When I nodded they walked off and I followed. Austin tried to follow but the officer waved him off. Oddly, I felt more exposed without him beside me. I didn't turn around  but instead kept following the officers. They stopped and the officer that barely talked left. We were standing in front of a glass and there were numbers, indicating anybody standing against the wall for their height.

" So what's going to happen is that six guys will be standing in front of you according to your description. You will look at all of them and will have as much time as you need. After that you can leave and you'll come back for court."

I took a deep breath and he grabbed a chair for me. I gladly sat down. My armpits were hurting from the crutches.

" What are you and the other guys names?"

" My partners name is Deputy James. I'm Deputy Taylor. But you can call me Michael. Mike for short."

I smiled and turned to the clear glass. Guys started walking in in a single filed line, all in handcuffs on their ankles and wrists. It made me feel a little better.

When I saw him walk in I took in a breath. My palms started to become clammy and my heart sped.

" That's him," I whispered.

" You have to wait until they are all standing against the wall,still."

After they all stood there against the wall Mike told me the same thing again.

Kyle was standing there, a slight grin on his face. All his hair was shaved off and he had a black eye; probably from getting jumped in jail. 

" That's him. Number 5. I'm positive."

" Are you sure?"

" Positive."

The officer talked into his walky talky and they all started walking away. Just before Kyle walked away from my vision he blew me a kiss.

" See you soon baby. I miss you."

I shivered even though it was warm and got up abruptly.

" Don't worry. He's on lock down. You're safe."

" I'm ready to go. Now."

He nodded and led the way. I followed as quick as I could with my crutches. When I saw my parents, Austin and Bri I felt a little better. Austin saw me and quickly came over, pulling me into a big hug. Even though I was still on my crutches I awkwardly hugged him back.

" Everything OK?" he whispered into my ear before pulling away.

" As good as it gets."

He frowned but let Bri come over. She presented me a bag of marshmallows and I laughed.