t w e n t y - t w o

a/n: thanks for waiting and also, thank you for 30K! i'm very grateful for my wonderful readers. i'm currently writing chapter twenty -four right now so i can speed up the process. thanks for reading and hope you enjoy!

"class, i'd like to introduce a new student to our school, jeon soyeon!" ms. rose happily clapped her hands, vigorously, smiling at the student. the student awkwardly stood with an anxious, shy smile on her lips, slowly waving towards the class. "hi, i'm soyeon. nice to meet you guys."

all the fellow students' eyes followed the shy girl, watching as she struggled to find a seat until her eyes landed on the chair beside the eye-catching student. she looks nice. she thought, quickening her steps, standing before the tall student. "is this seat taken?"

the student perked up at the sound of the young girl's soft voice, staring at her. "um, no." she picked her bag up, placing it beside her. the silence between the two girls was awkward as both girls didn't know what to say to each other. lisa figured she should help the young girl since she was her new seatmate, but she couldn't get any words out of her mouth. she was brought back into reality when she heard the girl speak, silently. "if you didn't hear up there, my name's soyeon."

"lisa."

"are you a foreigner or just born with an english name?"

"um, i'm a foreigner. i'm thai and i was born in bangkok. my real name is lalisa, but i go by lisa." the student explained.

"wow, what a nice name."

"thank you." she acknowledged the girl for her kindness, seeking potential of them becoming friends in the future. lisa was a nice person, she always wanted to make new friends, and her personality just attracted many people, which was the main reason for why some other females envied her.

"hey, i was wondering if you could give me a tour around the school at lunch, please?"

"of course." the student agreed, smiling genuinely.

as time had passed, the two girls whispering to one another every now and then and eventually, working together on a few worksheets. once the bell had rung, the students were quick to pack their things. "hey, can i see your schedule?"

"yeah, sure." the new student took out the folded sheet of paper, handing it to the female.

"well, well, well, would you look at that?" lisa said, causing the new student to perk up. "we have all the same classes together."

"really?"

"yeah."

"great because so far, you're the only person that i know at this school."

"don't worry, this school isn't bad and i'll introduce you to some of my friends later on."

"do you have a best friend?" soyeon questioned the student, causing her to become hesitant with the question. did she have a best friend? she didn't know. her and seulgi haven't spoken to each other in almost a month, which was hurting lisa as she didn't know what she did wrong. clearly, the female was finding something from her, but if seulgi was willing to break their friendship over it, maybe, it was best that she didn't know what it was.

"it's complicated, right now. we're not on the best of terms."

great, that's my chance. "is everything alright?"

"i don't even know. she won't tell me."

"that's a bad thing to do for a best friend. she must be hiding something really important from you and that's not what best friends do. maybe, she's not your best friend after all." soyeon explained, following as lisa just continued nodding, agreeing with some of her points.

"thanks, but i don't know. it depends on if things get better, but anyways, enough about me. what about you?"

"well, i just moved back from california, so that's why i'm here," the new student watched as the student had an astonished expression on her face. "let's see, i have an older half-sister and a little sister, their names are soojin and sunny."

"wow, lucky, i've always wanted a little brother or sister."

soyeon became bewildered by the statement. "trust me, you don't."

"what? why not?"

"they're so..." seulgi. "i mean, they never..." don't look, lisa, she's staring. "so, that's why you're lucky."

the student had finally realized the female had stopped talking and that's when she felt bad. "lisa, were you even listening?"

"sorry, no, my best friend is over there by her locker."

"let's go talk to her." soyeon continued to make her way to the other, but lisa grabbed her arm. "let's not. she doesn't look in the mood right now." "lisa, that doesn't matter. if she was really your best friend, she'd talk to you about it." she dragged the student over to her neglected best friend. "hey, seulgi."

"lisa, you're talking to me?" seulgi questioned, closing her locker slowly as she noticed the student standing behind it. the student stood bewildered when she seulgi questioned her. shouldn't she deserve to ask that question?

"no, you're talking to me?"

"i thought you didn't want to talk to me since that night."

"that night you ran out on me because for whatever reason. are you still not gonna tell me?"

"i think it's best if you don't know."

soyeon stood in front of the two, listening to their conversation, confused. "would anyone like to explain so i can help?"

"it's none of your business," seulgi said, bluntly, slamming her locker. lisa was startled, shocked by the sudden action by her normally shy and quiet best friend. "i'll see you later, i guess." she walked away, leaving the two confused.

"is there something going on between you two?" lisa questioned the younger, watching as she hesitantly responded. "no, that was my first time ever meeting her in my entire life."

lisa was still confused, not sure of whether to believe her or not. "it's fine, i'll talk to her later. let's go to lunch."

the two left, wandering down the hallways, lisa greeting others and soyeon, shyly standing beside her as she was new and no one knew her, but thanks to lisa, she had made a couple of new friends.

as they were finally standing in front of the cafeteria, lisa felt a warm hand grasping onto hers, which startled her a bit. she looked up, noticing the shy look on soyeon's face. "sorry, large crowds tend to make me nervous."

"don't worry."

lisa was a bit scared and nervous, to say the least, no one has ever done that to her whenever she made new friends and in a way, she was a little uncomfortable, but she understood and decided to hold her hand to make soyeon feel safe. it was all good until she read the text that appeared across her screen.

i don't think you should be hanging out with her
—best friend