Give and You Shall Receive

[TYPE]

One-Shot

----------------------------------------------

[SUMMARY]

Varian had free time from prison, but only by being with you to help him feel better. Time with you had done Varian good.

----------------------------------------------

[NOTE]

Merry Christmas to you all and I hope you had at least a decent holiday break. If not, then I hope this one-shot helps bring you a tiny bit of happiness.

--------------------------------------------

“There!”

A black, white, and baby blue knitted sweater is held up along with a matching set of mittens and earmuffs. It's neatly folded next to more piles of different winter wear sets and all different sizes and colors.

“Now for the boxing and wrapping.” You say happily with a yawn. “Half a year works of sweaters, beanies, earmuffs, and mittens to hand out.”

Every year you would make homemade things to hand to everyone who don't have their holidays so good. Each time, it felt so nice to see their happy faces and just brightening up their day.

With each crinkle of wrapping paper, soft pops of the box lids and faint zips of bows being tied made you want to finish your work. You were so adsorbed in your work that you didn't hear the front door open and close.

“(___), I...uh...made pie!” Varian calls out and shakes his head from snow. Rudiger runs into your kitchen to look for food.

You smile widely and rush in to see Varian place the pie on the small table, though you frown when you see the iron cuffs still on his wrists. “Do they always have to leave those on when they drop you off?” Your hair falls when you pull a pin from it to unlock the cuffs.

“Thanks.” Varian smiles softly. “At least the guards don't stay around.”

You hum in acknowledgement and grin, smelling the pie. “They let you use the kitchens? This looks so delicious.”

“The Queen gave permission, so yeah.” Varian shifts his gaze to the piles of gifts. “I see you're done, maybe after we have pie I'll load them up in the wagon.”

“Sounds good.” You cut the pie and had him a slice on a plate.

Varian laughs softly when you slip a Santa hat onto his head, “Really?”

“Yes, really. You're my helper.”

His heart flutters when you give him a quick hug to his head.

At first when you met Varian for the first time, he was very distant and his visits were just sitting there while you gave small talk. Soon it became him giving small replies to both of you laughing at random things you two did.

Your home was the only place Varian could let it all out and not worry about jail since Princess Rapunzel was yet to return from her travels somewhere beyond the Corona walls.

“Ready?” You ask after eating your pie and slipping on a Christmas themed coat.

Varian chuckles, “You sure are excited about this.”