Finding Strength in Tragedy

This year has brought incredible memories, but also immense pain. I wanted to share a piece I wrote about the March For Our Lives event I attended, which was one of the most powerful things I have ever done. Without further ado, here we go.

March 24: A Day of History

To some, this day is an average one. Maybe you woke up late on this Saturday morning, ran a few errands, got together with friends.

I did something a little different. I woke up close to 7:00 in the morning, drove to a nearby town called Parkland, and marched against the senseless gun violence that occurred there only a month earlier.

The debate of gun reform that fueled the nation took root in the same city I was marching in. There was a very personal and sensitive atmosphere as students gathered to speak about the gruesome tragedy that struck their school on a day of love, February 14.

There were many reasons why I marched, but there are a few prevalent ones I wanted to share. First, Stoneman Douglas is only fifteen minutes from my hometown, so I felt the physical connection. Also, I felt a deeply emotional connection. I had been texting a close family friend as she hid in a building right next to the scene. I know someone who got shot and survived to speak about it. I am friends with a good amount of people that attended the school and witnessed the terrible event.

Although these circumstances are incredibly upsetting, they are important to talk about in order to establish this as a personal issue. Every case of gun violence affects at least one individual in a negative way. However, it can be prevented.

Regardless of why you marched, I would appreciate hearing about it. Drop a comment below and tell me #WhyYouMarched. Every opinion matters.