Second Date... Second Disaster

POSEIDON'S POV

  I was sitting in my palace with thoughts running in my brain. What was happening to me?! I was having bad luck in the romance department, no question about that. Those other gods were perverts - I was married and Athena was a maiden! What the Hades were they thinking about?!

  I decided that I had to tell Amphitrite somehow - she said all she wanted was for me to not dump her, not treat her like a drunk god, and she's good. She also mentioned one detail - for me not to fall in love with any other gods. But now it was the whole Mount Olympus forcing me and my niece to date. (I'm not lying. Zeus is my brother and Athena's father. But since gods don't have DNA...)

  I spotted her sitting on our bed and doing absolutely nothing. Yep, just sitting there, as if she was looking for a miracle to happen.

  " Amphitrite," I said, which immediately got her attention. "We need to-"

  "Talk?" She replied, a hint of sadness tangled in her voice. "Yeah, I figured it was pretty much time you tell me why you cheated on me with a goddess. Did I mention that only mortals were out of the deal?"

  I hung my head, a little ashamed. I wasn't even sure what was going on between Athena and me - it was basically impossible since our long-time rivalry still had a long way to go.

  "Amphitrite, Athena and I... aren't in a real relationship," I told her boldly, hoping she would buy it. But she didn't, as I expected - she was angry as the only rule she made me follow was no dating other goddesses. It wasn't exactly a hard thing to do, but when the lord of the universe commands...

  "Not in a real relationship? Good one. Is it a fake one, then? So why did you hide it from me?"  Amphitrite was still pretty angry, her cold hard stare bearing into my eyes. Gods, it felt like I was going to be frozen anytime.

  I told her the truth, every single bit of it. "I know sometimes our parents or rulers are wrong, and that's when we should bite back. But when your ruler is the lord of the universe, there's nothing you can do about it." I finished sadly, gently caressing her hair.

   Amphitrite didn't really buy it - she grabbed my hand and yanked it away from her hair. "Oh no you don't, don't want to get your little Athena jealous, do you? If you told me earlier, I could've let you do whatever you want with her to make the other gods happy and it wouldn't affect me at all. After all, I did deal with all those years of you kissing and hugging and doing whatever gross stuff with those mortals. But it's too late now, Poseidon. It's too late." Her cold hard stare hardened. I wonder if any dudes out there have been scared of their wives - could really give me some advice here.

  I tried to answer with something reasonable, something to calm her fierce and raging sea. But there was nothing to say, and a lump seemed to have clogged up my throat so there was no point in trying. I watched her back as she left me standing alone in our room, speechless.

  I guess the only thing I could do now is to continue getting handsy with Athena to make the rest of the gods happier with us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  I teleported to Mount Olympus in hopes of a cheerier surrounding, but I wasn't in much luck. Athena was, as usual, reading a book; Hermes was surprisingly also reading a book; Apollo was admiring himself in the mirror and Zeus was talking to Hera. The other gods and goddesses were all gone. Ares and Aphrodite went dating, no doubt about that, and Demeter was probably hanging out somewhere - I could never read her mind. The Mount was shockingly quiet.

  "Poseidon!" Zeus exclaimed as he saw me. 

  I resisted rolling my eyes. "Yes, Zeus?"

  He shrugged. "As you can see, we're all a bit of down on entertainment here. Mind if you and Athena..."

  I really couldn't help myself now. I rolled my eyes as obviously as I could and answered, "Yeah, yeah, let's do this, whatever."

  I looked at Athena, who just looked completely dumbfounded. She shot me and Zeus dirty looks and tossed her book over her shoulder. "Effiel tower. See ya." Then she disappeared, leaving me staring at the shower of light she left behind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  I teleported to an unobvious place at the Effiel tower in my usual mortal disguise - fishing cap, shirt with parrots, etc. Athena showed up the same way she always does.

  For a moment we just stared at each other awkwardly. I suddenly thought of Amphitrite and how she got pissed off just because I had to make Zeus happy and didn't tell her about it. She's probably furious right now, but this quick date could end everything between Athena and me. Then I'll go and deal with Amphitrite. Hopefully, she'd be more forgiving next time.

  Athena looked around to make sure no mortal was around, then focused on her hand. A cup of coffee appeared in her hand - And I could see that it was no ordinary coffee. It's mixed with nectar, which is absolutely gross, Amphitrite made me try it before. All the goddesses like it and us gods are just like... nope.

  She sipped it. "So what cheesy stuff do we do now?"

  Amphitrite was still on my mind. "Huh?" I muttered.

  She rolled her eyes. "Come on, honey, there's nothing more interesting to keep in your mind than me, is there?" She said sarcastically. Typical Athena. Always trying to fake for a good show.

  I felt terrible doing this right now because it seemed like I didn't care about how Amphitrite felt anymore. "You know, Athena, I'm just not in the mood for this now."

  She raised an eyebrow. "Surprisingly, I'm not either. Let's just part ways. Bye!"

  She didn't move at all, and neither did I. She narrowed her eyes. "Aren't we leaving?"

  I frowned. "I could ask the same for you."

  "Actually, Poseidon, what's going on? I mean, why aren't you in the mood?" She asked me. Her stormy grey eyes shifted back and forth as if she was watching a table tennis match or trying to avoid my gaze.

  A mischievous smile crept up to my lips. "I was just about to ask the same question."

  Athena snorted. "Cut it out, Fishie Face! Tell me what's up."

  I looked away. Her stare was so intense I couldn't keep up with it. The way she looked at me, it seemed like she was going to devour me any second. "Nothing's up. Just don't feel like it."

  I did contemplate telling her the truth, but that would be a huge disappointment for the other gods. Besides,Amphitrite could be watching and who knows, she could kill me anytime for this. I'm not the only god who can teleport around the world.

  She smirked in a way that said she was forced to, and came closer. "Alright then, Poseidon. I suppose it's time to get back to work."