Athena Turns Her Back On Me

POSEIDON'S POV

  I had to return to the underground palace to face my wife again. I didn't even know what was going on with myself - suddenly, Amphitrite didn't look that attractive anymore. It still made me guilty, though - getting glared at every single time I tried to avoid her sight. Her eyes were almost as intimidating as Athena's. Nothing can compare to Athena's eyes, though, they were perfect for scaring anyone so much that they would immediately fall on their butts.

  Gods, why am I thinking about Athena again?! It was happening more and more often, no matter how much I tried to get her out.

  It occurred to me that ever since that date of embarrassing secrets, no gods or goddesses ever called for a 'we're bored again meeting'. Sometimes I would see Hermes pacing around and muttering himself and doing whatever gods of trickery did behind our backs - probably to prank Apollo or Hephaestus again. Sometimes Aphrodite would be bored and put on more makeup than needed, which made her look hilarious with the rhymes she spoke every day.

  But no one ever told us to date anymore.

  I wanted to believe that I felt relieved. I wanted to believe that I absolutely hated the dates with Athena and that the fact we never have to date anymore was the best news ever. But the truth was, Athena grew on me. I didn't want to believe it and all I wanted to do was to tell Amphitrite that this whole drama was over and we can spend some quality time together. But it was impossible to hide what I was really thinking. Also, quality time with Amphitrite didn't seem so amazing anymore.

  Ever since my son Percy completed the quest, I felt free and decided that I could finally have more demigod children and I did - there were lots of pretty mortals out there of different nationalities and once again, cabin 3 of CHB was filled with demigods. Tons of them sent me funny requests like, hey dad, c-can you p-please stop the c-cold of this sh-shower?! It's get-t-ting on my n-nerves! They were the only things that didn't seem like problems. Being bored out of my mind, I would snap my fingers and there! Warm water for cabin 3.

  I sat on my bed, thinking of a win-win way to get both goddesses out of my mind. Unfortunately, I had no ideas and decided to wait for my death from Amphitrite.

  Speaking of Amphitrite...

  There she was, standing right next to my bed. Great, I didn't know that Doomsday decided to come early.

  I braced myself, ready for something terrible.

  Instead, she said something that shocked me.

  "Poseidon... I think even Artemis can figure out something after all those dates you had." Her tone was almost emotionless, yet scary at the same time.

  "Wh-what?" I cautiously looked up, expecting a raging Amphitrite. Instead, she was smiling. Genuinely.

  "You like Athena, don't you?" She didn't sound like she was going to grab the nearest chair, which was my throne and smash it onto my face.

    "Wh-what?!" I was about to tell my wife that she was imagining things and that there was nothing going on between us. We were just entertainment for the other gods. But the more I think about it... 'entertainment' didn't even cover the truth anymore.

  I couldn't tell what I felt, but I definitely hate Miss Owl a lot less than I ever had.

  "I... don't know," I told her, which was the truth.

  She came closer and lifted up my chin so that I was directly looking at her. I tried to ignore my fidgeting fingers and abnormally fast heartbeat, but it wasn't working.

  "Poseidon, what was our marriage for?"

  A couple of weeks ago, I would've answered 'love'. That was supposed to be the answer for every couple, right? Love. But the more I thought about it, it didn't seem like the truth. An ordinary couple who got married for love wouldn't let each other have affairs with other people and still be neutral about it. Maybe I've never considered this, but Amphitrite never cared about my relationships with mortals. I thought she was saying that because she thinks the world needs more demigods, but it wasn't true - I realised that Amphitrite never cared. She was like a big sister of mine, not like a wife anymore.

  I was absolutely speechless.

  "Poseidon, other couples may have gotten married for love. But for us... there never seemed to be that kind of love. We only had two children. I let you have affairs with any mortals you want. I... think I overreacted that day when I found out about you and Athena. I suppose..." There was a mischievous glint in her eyes. "I suppose I could see Athena as a mortal as well? Judging by the fact that you have so many demigod children now, I don't think you two are going to last long..."

  I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I honestly wasn't even sure about Athena and me. But here my wife is, telling me that she didn't care about us. That was... I wasn't sure there were any words to describe something like this.

  I just knew that I suddenly had this desire to do something extremely dangerous - to see Athena.

  "Good to know, wifey. I'll just, uh, see ya later!" I leapt off the bed, and as Amphitrite's giggles traced into my ears, I teleported back to Mount Olympus.

  I definitely wasn't prepared for what I saw next.

  Ares, Aphrodite and Athena.

  The gods who had the least rivalry among each other were having a gigantic disagreement in the middle of the throne room. The only other gods present were Apollo, Demeter and me. Apollo was absentmindedly whistling a pop tune, his arms crossed at the sight. Demeter looked lost in thought, her hands on the armrests of her throne, her head slightly tilted.

  "I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME!" Aphrodite yelled. Her cheeks were scarlet and her eyes looked puffy from crying. Athena had her arms crossed, her cheeks equally red but her eyes looked fine. Ares looked a little nervous, his eyes darting around the room.

  "Uh, hey, mind if I...?" Before I could finish what I wanted to say, Athena cut my sentence.