Evenstar

"Yes, I understand what you mean, but even if I had tried to cross the Ford of Bruinen on foot, I would probably have ended up in one of its rapids." Roswehn objected, as with Lindir walked on a bridge from which she enjoyed the breathtaking view of Imladris.

The Elf could not understand how the woman had managed to cross the Misty Mountains in such a short time. He was telling her that there were easier ways to get to Rivendell, one of those was represented precisely by the river Bruinen, next to which there was a path which led exactly to the center of the small kingdom of Elrond. The same river that sixty years later Arwen Undómiel would have crossed with a dying Frodo Baggins on her horse.

"Then, I am not lucky with rivers: I told you what happened to me when I tried to cross the Anduin the first time ..." the woman continued.

"The Anduin is much bigger than the Bruinen, and its stream is three times stronger ... so it was Haldir the one who found you, and please, don't be so obsequious with me, I'm not Elrond, you do not owe me any respect." Lindir told her, with a graceful smile.

"Actually it was his brother Orophin to see me while I was floating on the water ... but Haldir rescued me, yes." she answered, as the memory of the blond Guardian of Lórien bent over her, came suddenly to her mind.

"Do you like Rivendell?" Lindir asked her. "You know, it's a kind of little Valinor, a blessed kingdom in small scale. We love to imagine that after our death, we will continue to live in such a place. " Lindir said. "Those magnificent trees, for example, resemble the Two Trees that stand at the entrance to our afterlife, and those waterfalls ..."

Lindir kept pointing out the wonders of Imladris, while Roswehn was more focused on admiring his beautiful profile. She also liked his way of describing things, the words he used; his speech was refined and engaging, and Roswehn imagined him as a teacher. He would have been a fabulous educator.

"... so many Men and Hobbits ask us to spend the years of their old age here, a little serenity before eternal peace." Lindir concluded.
Then he looked at her. "Your look much better than yesterday. I am happy that the night has done you good."

"Well I slept for hours, the nightly silence of this place helped me. In Dale I always wake up very early in the morning, because of the sounds of people on the road: in my realm the peasants wake up at dawn to go into the fields, and drag carts behind them. Their wooden wheels on the cobblestones of the avenues make an unbearable noise ..." Roswehn explained.

"I have never visited a territory populated by mortals." Lindir revealed.

"And would you like it?" she asked.

"I think so. Humans are fascinating: there's a lot I'd like to share with you." He said.

Of course. I'm sure if you came to Dale you would find a myriad of girls willing to share some of our culture with you, she thought, and hoped that Lindir was not one of those Elves who could read in the minds of others.

"Elrond says you want to visit the Hobbits, they're very reserved, you know, they do not welcome the intruders." He told her.

"Those little halflings do not scare me...not after what I've been through ... Eru can witness that, I even faced a Dr ..." she was about to talk about Oropher the little ice dragon, but she remembered her promise: I won't tell anyone that you are here. And Roswehn Monrose may have been a weirdo with a strange attraction to the Elves, but she was not infamous. A promise was a promise, as the rule of civil life said.

"... a what?" Lindir inquired.

"... a drama. I lived a great drama in Fornost and I went through it, and now nothing scares me." She lied.