Meanwhile, in the Lórien...

Haldir sighed in the fresh water of a natural tank.

He watched the leaves of the trees above him, and that green reminded him of the undulating branches of the willow tree under which he had spent a night with Roswehn; huddled together like cats on Gandalf's cart, who had slept unaware beside them.
He kept reliving in his mind the moment when he laid down next to her. The sweetness of that memory could not abandon him.

"Once you used to sigh for me only, " Liriel said: she was a female Elf who, like Haldir, was enjoying a few hours of refreshment among the rocky springs. Although their skin was insensitive to cold and heat, the air had become heavy because of the summer heat, and even the creatures of Lórien were suffering.

Liriel and Haldir had just made love, but that time the blonde She-Elf had not been completely satisfied as usually happened.

"Did you hear me, Captain? I'm afraid I have not been at the forefront of your mind for quite a while, your heart   is far from here." she continued, caressing his chest. "... you're very far from me."

"You mean I was not here a few moments ago?" Haldir smiled.

Liriel put her head on his shoulder. "You're always the best of lovers, but ... lately it's not with me that you're doing it, you think of someone else while you're in my arms, do not think I didn't notice."

Haldir did not answer. It was true.
Liriel was his friend and occasional lover for decades, but in the last month he had not been able to enjoy her company as he did before. There was always the face of the mortal girl in his mind.

"It's her, right?" the elf woman asked. "It's the human that Estel and I took care of the first day, when you brought her here."

"Liriel, stop it, do not talk about her." Haldir answered. "It's a favor that I ask you."

The girl looked in his eyes.
"No. I want to know what she did to steal your heart like this." She looked annoyed. "That thing bothered me.The mortal spent three days in your house, she kept you for herself.
I could never spend more than three hours in your bed."

"It was an order from Celeborn and Galadriel, you know, I had to watch over her. They thought she was dangerous, it was not my decision." Haldir explained tiredly. He could not stand Liriel's jealousy, they were not united in a relationship. She had no right to feel betrayed and to accuse him.

"Dangerous, yes ... dangerous for me, and she has succeeded in her purpose, I see." the elf woman retorted. "I can not figure out what you saw in her. She really did not look beautiful to me ... with those mud-colored hair and glassy eyes ..."

Haldir put his head on the edge of the tank and laughed. "Her hair was a wonderful brown color and her eyes were green like two river gems, please, Liriel." he caressed her waist. "Do not lose yourself in stupid competitions, you're different from her."

"Is she more beautiful than me?" the woman insisted. "Do you believe this?"

Females. Haldir thought. I wonder what Eru had in mind when he put them in this world.

"You're boring Liriel, that's enough." he said. But she was overwhelmed by jealousy, her blue eyes were sparkling with rage.

"That mortal..." she went on. "... had a skin as delicate and white as mine, or was it rough and scorched by the rays of the sun, like that of the human peasants in the fields?" She asked, showing her body so that he could admire the perfection of her shape. Liriel was as thin as a poppy stem compared to Roswehn.

"... her hair, smelled of wood and moss ... or did it have the fragrance of myrrh, like mine?" She asked again, waving the golden curls.

"... her lips, were soft like mine? And her voice, was melodious like mine? And from her mouth .... came out words as sweet as those I tell you ... or just impudence and criticism ? " she provoked him. "... I remember when she opened her eyes, as she was lying on the marble table of our healer...she immediately asked to have meat for food ... meat ... do you hear what I'm saying?"