Women

"Wait! ... wait, hey you!" Pearl shouted, running after Roswehn.

The woman turned around. "What do you want, now? I said I will not pay more than that."

"No," the girl panted. Her father came out of the tavern yelling at her to return to do the damn work in the kitchen.
"No ... I'd like to talk to you ..."

"I have to go get my horse, I don't have time to waste, please." Roswehn answered abruptly, she couldn't wait to leave that cursed village.

"Did something happen to you last night?" Pearl asked, while pulling Roswehn by the arm and walking away with her before her father reached them both. "I saw that an ugly guy followed you on the stairs, after you've finished dinner."

Roswehn looked at her. "Yes. Yes, that piece of...was about to rape me...and then kill me. I was helped by that boy I asked you about."

Pearl shook her head. "Ah ... I knew that, he did the same to me once."

Roswehn was incredulous. "What ?! He already did it ?! And why isn't he in some jail now?"

"Can't you imagine why? Because he always spends a lot of money in our tavern. You know, I told my father about him, and what he did to me. He promised me he would have solved the matter, I thought he would tell the city guards. Instead, my father just went to that criminal and told him that if he had tried to touch me again, he would have cut off both his hands, and since then that pig has left me alone. " the girl confessed.

"But now he does whatever he wants with other women!" Roswehn shouted. "It's terrible, do you realize that?" Meanwhile, several people on the street had turned to look at her.

"Don't yell!" Pearl said. "I know ... I know ... it's horrible, but that's how life goes, here."

"Thanking Eru, I do not live here.The world of Men has fallen into degradation, and this village is the great western latrine. I can not wait to get back to the Elves." she murmured.

She immediately understood that she had said too much. In fact, Pearl widened her blue eyes, enthusiastic. "Do you live with the Elves, really?" A bright smile opened on her face. "I noticed the embroideries on your clothes ... no tailor in this place can make such elaborate dresses. I imagined you came from Rivendell. "

"Yes. Listen, I'm in a hurry, I'll take my horse now and then I have to go, have a good day, Pearl." Roswehn tried to dismiss her. They had meanwhile arrived at Arlon's stable. "Excuse me, can I take my horse, now? And how much do I owe you?"

A blond and dangling lad came out from the stables, holding a rake full of straw. "I still have to groom your horse, it will take an hour, and the hooves should also be checked in. Where did you bring it? There are stones stuck underneath." the man said.

"Couldn't you do it last night?" Roswehn retorted, annoyed. She hated Bree and wanted to leave that village as soon as possible.

"What do you want, to teach me my job? In the evening there is not enough light in the stables." Arlon said, spitting on the ground. "In an hour, and three gold coins, dear lady."

"Well, I'll take you for a walk around Bree, since you have time! So you can tell me about the Elves!" Pearl said. "Come on, I'll offer you breakfast, you can even change your gold powder with coins! We have a goldsmith here."

Roswehn reluctantly followed the girl, who took her to a baker. They sat outside his shop and Pearl ordered a slice of apple pie for her. The woman had to recognize that it was delicious.

"So," Pearl asked, "how are the Elves? Some months ago one of them came here from Rivendell, he wanted to buy seeds, or something else for their crops, I do not remember. He walked around the village for a whole day."