Back to Greenwood

A small cohort of Elves rode along the road to the Misty Mountains.
There was a human woman with them.

Roswehn felt an unbearable pain in the pelvis because of the sitting position she had been keeping for many hours, headache, and weakness for not having been able to eat anything but some fruit snatched from trees. She had asked the Elf who was escorting her to stop, because she had to sleep a bit, but he had replied: "The king intends to get to Eryn Galen in less than three days, we can not stop. If you want to rest, lean on my back. "

The girl was worried for the small life inside her. That incessant movement of the animal could have harmed her little creature.

"I have to talk to Thranduil, please take me to him." she begged at one point. She was about to lose consciousness. The Elves could stay awake for a week, and eat only roots, but she could not.
"It's not possible, it's better for you to be quiet." the soldier answered dryly. "I really mean that, Roswehn."

"Thranduil!" the girl yelled, then. "You must listen to me!"

She saw the king turning and saying something to another soldier, who approached her and her guardian soon after.

"Our king says that if you can not control this woman, I'll have to do it." And he pointed to a thick twisted rope that was hangin from the saddle.

Roswehn could not believe it. Thranduil would order to tie her up? She was now a prisoner?

"...what's going on, anyone can tell me?" She began to whine, exasperated.

"You cry?" the Elf asked. "Whatever you did, you offended our King. Lord Thranduil is angry at you."

"I didn't do anything! This is absurd ... and then ... I'm feeling sick." She complained. She had the sensation that the inside of her head was spinning.
"I'll jump off the horse if you do not stop, I swear."

"That would be a bad idea. You'd get hurt, and then the King would probably leave you here, we would go on and you would be alone, lost, hungry and with a broken ankle." the soldier Elf commented.

"I'm pregnant." Roswehn said.

The Elf stopped the horse instantly. He turned. "What did you say?"

"That I'm waiting for a baby and...your king is the
father. I suggest you to let me dismount from the horse, because if something bad happens to me, if I lose my child, you'll be responsible of having killed a prince. "
The Elf looked around in confusion, and immediately called: "Varian!"

The lieutenant of Thranduil approached: he was a stern Elf whom Roswehn knew well. He was a subordinate of Feren, but he was much more authoritarian than the Captain.
The soldier reported everything in elvish to his superior: Varian, after having thrown a stupefied glance at the human, rushed to Thranduil.

All soldiers stopped.

"Please, let me get off." She murmured again to the soldier. Roswehn went to sit on a rock, put her hands on her lap, and sighed. She felt humiliated.

Thranduil arrived on his barded horse, but didn't dismount. He did not seem upset, nor moved by the news, nor particularly happy.

"What's the deal?" he asked coldly.

Roswehn looked at him astonished. "Your captain hasn't told you I'm pregnant?"

"And who is the father ... Haldir? Lindir?" Thranduil replied. "Or maybe our Feren?"

Thranduil looked annoyed and a bit disgusted, as if Roswehn was the most miserable of creatures, not the woman he had sworn to love in front of Elrond just few hours before.