In the dark

"This is not your business."

Thranduil poured a small amount of wine into the glass. He wanted to fill it to the brim, but that Dowinion of mortals was strong, too strong and he had to remain lucid. He had to think.

Legolas had run into his quarters like a tornado. "I want to know what you're doing ... and why you're doing it!" he growled at the king.

"I'm giving a lesson to that spoiled and capricious woman, that's what I do, and you have to stay out of it." Thranduil said, without even turning around. His tone of voice was calm and serene, like that of a father who patiently explained his son a complicated problem.

"I will not let you do it." Legolas replied. "Give the order. Set her free."

Thranduil smiled.
"Or, Legolas?" He said. "Would you dare to face me?"

"I've already done it before, don't think I won't do it again, father." the prince hissed. "Today you've crossed the line."

Finally his father turned to look at him. "That time it was for Tauriel, I understood your anger, you loved her then, but what is this human for you?" He asked.

"She will be my brother's mother. Today I was told that I will have a brother, and I will not let you harm Roswehn nor him." Legolas replied angrily.

"This is yet to be proven. For what we know, it may have been a lie to deceive me and my soldiers." the king said.

"You know it's true, Roswehn would never lie about it, you can not keep her locked up in her conditions, father." Legolas continued. "It is an unbearable cruelty."

"I told you I'd let her out in three days, then I'll ask one of our healers to visit her, to see if she's pregnant." Thranduil answered. "And if it was true, you will have new responsibilities: that child will be a prince, just like you. He will have the same privileges you enjoy, and once he has grown up, he will have the same hierarchical position towards the soldiers. He will be second in the succession line.
You will teach him to behave, to speak, to fight, even to think as a heir to the throne. And to act and decide, as a son of Thranduil should do. "

"So I should teach him to torture innocent people, like you do?" Legolas replied.

Thranduil frowned. "Who am I torturing, may I know?"

"Roswehn." Legolas answered. "I do not know how to call the incarceration of a person, without light, without food, without even air."

Thranduil poured himself another quantity of wine, this time a little more generous.
"I'm educating her, you can not understand."

"...educating?" Legolas was incredulous. "What are you talking about?"

"You are still young and inexperienced on earthly matters, you have not understood whom you are dealing with, but I have." he said, sipping the wine. "The first time I met her, she was full of arrogance, I immediately understood her personality and found her interesting: like your mother, she had two burning eyes. I have never loved the fearful and submissive, your grandfather wasn't weak, I am not and you are not. And I want to surround myself with those who are like me. Elrond considers us impetuous and unwise ... but this does not bother me. He can keep his love for diplomacy and logic, here in Greenwood we have other values. "

Legolas could not follow his father's train of thoughts. "What do you mean with this?" he asked impatiently.

The king turned to look at him. "As much as I love her temper, I hate her continuous disrespect - she thinks she can make fun of me, she thinks she can hurt my feelings, to satisfy her selfish human desires." he said to his son. "I opened my heart to her, and our Palace. I wanted to marry her, I wanted Elrond to celebrate our marriage, I begged him to ask a favor for me to the gods ... And I wanted to give her this ..." he placed a night-colored velvet bundle on the table, which he opened in a quick gesture. It was the necklace made with the priceless gems of Lasgalen. The jewel that was originally made for the Queen.