The Dark Of Night

Days passed and all Jace could think of was Sebastian's warning. Five days had passed since his warning and he feared what Sebastian had meant when he had told his step brother that if Clary was not handed over to him in a week she would go to him anyway. He had one day to decide what to do.

I can't just had her over, he thought to himself, but if he wasn't lying to make me hand Clary over then I can't stop her going to him.

"Jace, are you okay?" Clary asked, appearing in front of him.

"Yes, I- I need to tell you something." he sighed.

"What is it?"

"We didn't come here just in case Sebastian comes for you. He is coming for you."

"When?" Clary gasped, her voice shaking.

"In two days. He came to me the day we left. He told me that I had a week to hand you over or... or you would go to him of your own accord. That the only way to protect you was to keep you from falling asleep. I'm so sorry. I didn't want you to worry, to escape and give yourself up to him." he sighed "If you hate me I understand."

"I don't hate you. I understand. You just want to keep me safe. I would do the same if it was you he wanted,"

"I love you Clary. I'll do everything I can to protect you," he took her up in his arms and kissed her, the heavenly fire flaring up inside of him, tinging his skin gold.

"Jace-" Clary began.

"What is it?"

"Your... Glowing!"

Jace looked at himself. It was true. His skin shone, illuminating the room. The black runes that laced his arms turned gold as well, shining brighter then any witch light, or even the sun.

"Jace? Jace! What's happening?" Clary asked.

"I don't know!"

Slowly the light faded until his skin was back to normal.

"Clary," he began "Clary. I'm so sorry. I forgot. I- are you hurt?"

"No-"

"How could I have been so stupid?! How could I have put you in danger so soon after promising to keep you safe?!"

"JACE! I'm fine! You're not the monster you think you are." she yelled. As she did her thoughts travelled to her nightmares. It had been Jace that had held the knife above her heart, not her brother. But they were just dreams. Weren't they?

"I love you Clary, thank you." he said softly, taking her hand. He stated at it, his expression a mixture of surprise and worry.

"What is it? Jace, what's wrong?"

"Your hand, look at it,"

She did as he'd instructed. She gasped in shock. Her voyance rune was faded, tinged red. Over it a new rune sat, faded as if it had been used recently. It was Lilith's rune.

"How... Why?" Clary stuttered.

"Your dreams!" Jace exclaimed.

"What?"

"That's what Sebastian meant. He's causing your nightmares. He's trying to posses you so he can force you to go to him when I refuse to hand you over."

"Jace, help me!"

***

Exhausted Jace flopped onto their bed. He had spent all night guarding Clary, expecting to meet Sebastian attempting to take a willing, possessed Clary away. But he was alone. At midnight he could barely keep his eyes open. He fell asleep.

As he did Clary's eyes flew open.

Sister dearest, a voice in her head said. It was Sebastian. Come to me.

"I'm coming brother," she replied.

She leant over Jace.

"Farewell Jace," she whispered, Lilith's rune glowing red.

She left to find him. The only one who mattered...